Beginner needs some help

chiyeung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! Guys! I am a beginning photographer. I am 16 so I don't have too much cash to start so I plan to save up this summer. I got into photography with my really old 4 mega pixel camera with a 7x zoom. Even Though it is such a bad camera I was able to get some decent shots. (www.chiyeunglau.carbonmade.com) I was planning to buy a new camera on amazon but I am not sure if I should get it. It cost 220 dollars and it is a Canon PowerShot SX100IS 8MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom non DSLR
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XVW72BG4VRE6BDNPVJ3
or jack up 300 dollars for a canon powershot proseries s5 which is a DSLR not including batteries etc. Thanks in advanced!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i'd say get a d40 kit. 500 or less if you do it right. beginner SLR

I don't know if i should buy it or not. I dont know about the d40 Atreus I'm going to only make around 500-700 this summer so I don't want to go over my budget. I need some money for the school year also. :confused:

It looks like you have a good eye for photography. A 4 mp camera isn't bad at all. I wouldn't spend your money on another non DSLR. Keep what you have, are you able to change settings on that camera manually (like the aperture, shutterspeed and ISO?)

Thank You Very Much Julie. The digital i have right now is very small, the lcd is maybe only 1 inch. I am able to change the Iso from 50-400. I can not find shutter speed or aperture. Though I am able to change effects, image sizes, exposure, lighting. Only problem is that it is over 4 years old and I dropped it once so it's battery dies out easily even though it is rechargeable.
If buying a non DSLR isnt worth it, then I'll wait until i can afford one.

Ok here's what you should do.... if you're serious about photography the Canon 20D (SLR) is VERY cheap now, you can get it for $300 NEW or you could even get a used one on eBay. It's a fantastic camera and you can learn so much with it... If you need me to find you some links where you can get it, let me know and i'll look it up for you. It sounds like your camera isn't in the best shape, but this will be a major upgrade from that...

^^^ good call. i had my sony h7, it was good for a p&s, but since this D60. things are so much better. i'd just put it off man. troll around some pawn shops, you "might" get lucky....

Thank You Very Much Julie. The digital i have right now is very small, the lcd is maybe only 1 inch. I am able to change the Iso from 50-400. I can not find shutter speed or aperture. Though I am able to change effects, image sizes, exposure, lighting. Only problem is that it is over 4 years old and I dropped it once so it's battery dies out easily even though it is rechargeable.
If buying a non DSLR isnt worth it, then I'll wait until i can afford one.
Good call! Because you will find yourself with the same limitations using another P&S. The only way I would replace it before buying a new camera is if the presnt one died. Who knows by the time you are ready they may have rebates or, sales on models they will be replacing. Keep an eye on Staples, Best Buy and, Circut City because, when they discontinue carrying something, the prices drop alot.

The non DSLR cameras don't give you the opportunity to really LEARN why your photos are good or why they're bad. There isn't much range of ISO and if you can't find shutterspeed and aperture, it's sort of pointless. UNLESS, you just want to test your composition or your eye and take some cool shots then your camera is okay.... But again, if you're serious, sit tight, save up and buy a great camera instead of one that will get you by.

Julie, Where could i find a 20d for around that price ? (ebay kind of scares me with a purchase such as this). I would be willing to spend a little more as well.

I sold mine on craigslist and I was bummed because there were about 100 other people selling their 20D's, none were higher than $300! So check CL in your area. I'm in NY so you can check that one too.

Ok here's what you should do.... if you're serious about photography the Canon 20D (SLR) is VERY cheap now, you can get it for $300 NEW or you could even get a used one on eBay. It's a fantastic camera and you can learn so much with it... If you need me to find you some links where you can get it, let me know and i'll look it up for you. It sounds like your camera isn't in the best shape, but this will be a major upgrade from that...

The non DSLR cameras don't give you the opportunity to really LEARN why your photos are good or why they're bad. There isn't much range of ISO and if you can't find shutterspeed and aperture, it's sort of pointless. UNLESS, you just want to test your composition or your eye and take some cool shots then your camera is okay.... But again, if you're serious, sit tight, save up and buy a great camera instead of one that will get you by.

a canon 20D? I can't find it on amazon, the only one I can find is 1000 $! o.o I can live with my camera for a month or two, but I seriously wish to have a decent camera. (It is in pretty bad shape)

No, it is not, chiyeung.
It just looks like one.
Canon Powershot S5is Review.
Oh thanks for clearing it up for me, and giving me a wonderful sight for reviews!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back