Beginner needs some help

I live in the New York City Region also, though the ones one craigslist I am kind of scared.

I've only had success with craigslist...because I reach out to the person selling and talk to them about their camera or lenses....why they're selling etc...MOST people will be honest and you'll get the feeling if you're not dealing with an honest person. It's one thing if you're spending $1000, but for $300-$400 for a 20D you can't get THAT screwed in my opinion.
I've also bought lenses on eBay. EBay has good photo stores in addition to individuals who are selling their equipment. It would be good if you can get a used camera, a lot of people including myself just wanted to upgrade from the 20D....there was nothing wrong with mine when I sold it a few months ago.

ahh okay, i am going to continue looking for one i can afford

Chiyeung, Do you know WHAT you want to shoot? Are you into portraits, landscapes, city stuff etc.... Is it important to you to learn about settings and what happens at different shutterspeeds and apertures? If you're just into having a new camera that can take good pictures FOR you... then get a better P&S.....

Before anything, maybe i really should just get a Nikon d40 kit I find them online for around 360ish. I plan to define New York City. ;andscapes, cityscapes, People's interactions , landscapes and bridges etc.

One of the best things you can do, and have done to learn more about photography is to join this FORUM! TPF is the best. The people here are so willing, able and eager to help.

Yes I have learned from you =D Thank you! A d40 should be good enough for a beginner right >.<

canon canon canon. Okay Thanks for all the info, now I just need to look around the forums for info on the d40 and learn about all the different settings!

I plan to define New York City. ;andscapes, cityscapes, People's interactions , landscapes and bridges etc.

The basic focal range that you could use for that runs from (in 35mm equivalent) 24mm (wide angle) to around a 150mm (medium telephoto). I wouldn't want a zoom lens that covers that whole range in one go, because I'd have to sacrifice unacceptably much (to me, anyway) optical image quality.
The AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED (1.7x), and either the AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED (2.9x) or the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED (5.0x) would be a great combo lenses for NYC.

And a sturdy tripod!

when you buy a body of a camera, it comes in a box with everything included right? cause the d40 is suppose to come with Li-On batteries etc. I plan to buy from this site. only problem is I don't know how to assemble it lol!
http://photodynasty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4409

wow i just realized that lenses for the d40 are really expensive. those lenses mentioned are around 1500 dollars.

avoid photodynasty. at all costs. i had the same thread awhile back, but it was about a D60/d80 lol. Wolf Camera has them on sale right now.

Most reactions

Back