beginner questions about macros

Dannydb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a kodak z712 with optical zoom (36-432m)

Yestrerday I put the camera in Macro mode to take a pictue of a bug stuck in a web. In the picture the bug was out of focus and the background was in focus. I was about an inch or two away ffrom the bug. I sometimes have this problem with flowers too.

I akso used my zoom to zoom into a moth. Thr flash went off and the picture was too bright. I tried turning down the strength of the pop-up flash but is there a better and cheap way?

I bought an Opteka macro lens/filter? any opinions?

Thanks.

Buy a dslr with macro lens. The minimum focusing distance on your camera is too much so it isn't really a true macro.

I have a Z712, and while it doesn't have DSLR quality macros, it does pretty well and I've got some amazing results with it. I never had any luck getting it to focus when I was that close to a subject, try about a foot to a foot and a half between you and the subject for shooting macros. If the 12x zoom doesn't get you close enough, try the low end of the digital zoom. Also, were you using the preset macro mode, or using the Manual setting? If you're using the preset, I would suggest trying shooting in the Manual mode, it gives you a lot more control over how the photo turns out, since the camera doesn't always know best. If the light allows, I'd turn off the flash and not use it unless you really need it.

I hope this helped... If you have more questions, feel free to PM me and I can help you with the settings. By the way, if you still have the pic, could you post it in the thread? It'll help us give you better feedback.

The lens you bought... it won't work with that camera because it's a point and shoot, which means means the lens isn't detachable.

*edit* I should think a little more before I speak... I looked up the lens, and from the reviews, it sounds great. Do you have the adapter, if not you'll need to buy one to attach the lens to the camera.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back