beginner questions

bamajvc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a nikon d80, only 2 lens right now a quantaray 55-2000mm 1:4-5.6 and a nikkor af-5 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6g (don't know if you needed to know the lens or not)

so what camera setting would make pics like these better?

my nephew playing ball, he's on top :) I would like the whole pic to be sharp, but can't figure out how to get it
DSC_0007.jpg

my other nephew and the blue angels show
DSC_0295.jpg

just some random pics I would to improve on
DSC_0005.jpg

100_1050.jpg

100_2259.jpg

The first photo is blurry because the shutter speed as too slow. I'm guessing that you were holding the camera & lens (as oppsed to using a tripod etc). When hand holding the camera, you need a good shutter speed to freeze the movement of the 'camera shake'. On top of that, the players are moving...and you need a fast shutter speed to freeze the movement of your subjects. The problem with that, is a lack of light. You need light in order to be able to record a photograph...and once your lens has hit it's maximum aperture, the next option is to slow down the shutter speed. You can raise the ISO to help, but that also gives you digital noise....which is still better than blur.
The solution would be to use a lens with a wider maximum aperture and/or use a higher ISO setting. Shooting sports (especially at night, under lights) is about one of the hardest things you can ask your gear to do...which is why pro sports shooters use cameras and lenses that cost many, many thousands of dollars.

my nephew playing ball, he's on top :) I would like the whole pic to be sharp, but can't figure out how to get it

If you mean removing the motion blur, increase your ISO setting. Try 400 or 800 first; the higher you go, the faster the picture is taken, but noise will increase.
I assume you're shooting in some kind of sport mode. If you're shooting in Av, increase your aperature (lower the number). This will also shorten exposure time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back