Beginner skills on GIMP (Bump Mapping)

Michael Cardenas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone here versed on the Gimp software? I am going through the GIMP tutorials( For anyone who is a beginner like me. Simply click tutorials at the top of the page and you can take it from there- GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program) and I am having trouble with bump mapping. I feel like I have all the settings down (probably not I guess lol) but when I click ok I am not getting the desired result. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Anyone here versed on the Gimp software? I am going through the GIMP tutorials( For anyone who is a beginner like me. Simply click tutorials at the top of the page and you can take it from there- GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program) and I am having trouble with bump mapping. I feel like I have all the settings down (probably not I guess lol) but when I click ok I am not getting the desired result.
Do you get the desired result with Preview checked on? The Bump Map dialog has a preview option that shows you what you're going to get.
Anyway, thanks in advance.

Do you get the desired result with Preview checked on? The Bump Map dialog has a preview option that shows you what you're going to get.
Well. To be totally honest I'm not entirely sure what I am supposed to get. I am simply following the tutorial on the gimp website and I am not getting what the tutorial is showing. As far as the preview... At the top of the dialogue, there is a tiny box with a circled question mark, which allows me to select the desired layer to be bump mapped(as far as I understand) and it does show me an image of the selected layer but at the bottom of the dialogue there is a preview selection option. When I select that option nothing happens.

Well. To be totally honest I'm not entirely sure what I am supposed to get.
That's really a graphics feature and is used primarily with smaller web-sized images to create text effects (embossed text). It doesn't really have much application to photography. A photo image can be too high res to show much effect.
I am simply following the tutorial on the gimp website and I am not getting what the tutorial is showing. As far as the preview... At the top of the dialogue, there is a tiny box with a circled question mark, which allows me to select the desired layer to be bump mapped(as far as I understand) and it does show me an image of the selected layer but at the bottom of the dialogue there is a preview selection option. When I select that option nothing happens.
You're probably missing the blending mode variance between the two layers. To use that function you start with an image on a layer. Next step is to duplicate that layer and apply some edits to the duplicate (at least a gaussian blur). In the Layers dialog is an option for blending modes (Mode). The duplicate layer has to have the blending mode changed (different modes = different effects) try luma for starters. Select the duplicate layer and change the Mode from the drop list. Then select the original image layer and bring up the Bump Map dialog. In the Bump Map dialog click the ? and select the duplicate layer. Set Preview on and you should see changes when you alter the parameters.

That's really a graphics feature and is used primarily with smaller web-sized images to create text effects (embossed text). It doesn't really have much application to photography. A photo image can be too high res to show much effect.

You're probably missing the blending mode variance between the two layers. To use that function you start with an image on a layer. Next step is to duplicate that layer and apply some edits to the duplicate (at least a gaussian blur). In the Layers dialog is an option for blending modes (Mode). The duplicate layer has to have the blending mode changed (different modes = different effects) try luma for starters. Select the duplicate layer and change the Mode from the drop list. Then select the original image layer and bring up the Bump Map dialog. In the Bump Map dialog click the ? and select the duplicate layer. Set Preview on and you should see changes when you alter the parameters.

Ahhh. You know? I didn't quite consider that I wasn't focusing on the photo applicable features. I have scrolled down the GIMP tutorial page and see that there is a specific section for photo editing. I will put this aside for now, and skip to that. Thank you very much though.

Ahhh. You know? I didn't quite consider that I wasn't focusing on the photo applicable features. I have scrolled down the GIMP tutorial page and see that there is a specific section for photo editing. I will put this aside for now, and skip to that.

Good idea, unless you want to be a graphic artist in which case get Krita.

Thank you very much though.

Ahhh. You know? I didn't quite consider that I wasn't focusing on the photo applicable features. I have scrolled down the GIMP tutorial page and see that there is a specific section for photo editing. I will put this aside for now, and skip to that.

Thank you very much though

Thank you very much though.
One thing at a time lol, but thank you I will keep that in mind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back