Beginner with Lens Question

s10lowrider1994

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Total beginner here with a quick question (probably a dumb one, but a question none the less). Just picked up our first DSLR, bought it used, and it came with some extra lenses. What we purchased was a Canon Rebel XTi and it included the tyipcal 18-55mm kit lens and two zoom lenses. They are the 55-250mm IS 4-5.6 and the 75-300mm 4-5.6. Both are just the typical zoom lenses you find everywhere but it doesnt seem like there is a point in keeping both. Is there a certain purpose for each that makes it necessary to have both? If so why? If not which one would you keep and why? Thanks in advance for any info.

This is a good question...you might search the web for reviews of each...for example...Canon EF-S 55-250/4-5.6 IS Lens Review - photo.net and for the 75-300 here: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Lens Review.

Not sure if the 75-300 that you have is the Mk. III or the IS version, if it is not the IS version, then, if it was me, I would keep the 55-250mm because then you have everything covered from 18mm to 250mm. I am not sure that you would notice the loss of the "50mm" keeping the 250 over the 300. I suspect, I would also keep the 55-250mm even if the 75-300 was the IS version, simply because it covers that "complete" range. A lot depends on what you want to shoot, but from what I read, the 75-300 does not come out favourably in my mind. Ask yourself this question, given the types of photography that you do, or would like to do, which lens would you buy if you were trying to decide which one you wanted - maybe the answer to that will help you in your decision. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

The 75-300 is not the IS version and doesnt seem to compare in picture quality to the 55-250 IS, the only downfall is that extra 50mm is nice when I wanna reach out and touch something so it puts me on the fence. Looks like I'll keep the 55-250 regardless, I suppose having the 75-300 as well isnt bad for those situations where its needed, but then again I could sell it and invest in something with a max focal length in the 400mm range. Decisions decisions.

The 75-300 (I have this lens) is a basement bargain lens, retails around $200, slow in autofocus. A true cheap end lens. The 55-250 is better from the reviews I've read, I don't own it so I can't give you a hands on review but I believe it's better. I'd sell both and get a 70-200mm f4 L lens (non IS) off ebay for around $600. I know it's alittle more but it will blow both out of the water from the reviews I've read.
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens Review

Most reactions

Back