Beginner with questions!

Bharris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm new to Film SLR since a few weeks and I really enjoy it. However, what I don't like is some of the beginner mistakes I know I am making.

First off I am 19, I have always liked photography, enthusiast, if you will. It's always been the disposable camera and my outdated 3mp Sony Cybershot. Recently, my mom was given a Minolta 7000i for helping them move. She brought it home and it was like Christmas to me.

Apparently, they had found it next to a dumpster and kept it. Anyways, I looked it over very well and didn't find anything wrong with it at all. It still has the manuals for everything inside like the camera itself, the cluster of filters, 3000i flash, and the extra 70/210mm lens that was inside. I bought a single roll of 400 film and went to town making sure everything worked perfectly.

Nevertheless, I was thrilled. ( pictures taken with my webcam, clarity and glare were sort of hard to get by )

Picture6.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture3.jpg

For never having ever used a SLR, not knowing anything about ISO, Aperture, Shutter control, I did quite well. Not to mention the camera is as old as I am. My second outing with it, I went to a cousins basketball game, and this is where the trouble starts.
The gymnasium was actually quite dark, I did not know whether or not to use flash, so I just used it. I did do alittle reasearch and read the manual a bit by now, so knowing it was an action shot, I set it to 1/500shutter and aperture at f16.
I noticed, when I put on the flash, my shutter was knocked down to 90, so I just went with it, I also believe I set it to 125 as well, I don't remember. The pictures turned out somewhat.. well..

Picture9.jpg

Picture8.jpg

Picture7.jpg

The flash was abusive, and there was a slight blur in the pictures. First time indoors and I gave it a good try. I went home after getting the pictures back and read the manual again, looked around youtube for video's on settings and such so I could be better prepaired next time.

This is a bonus picture, I shot that day as the basketball game, same roll of film, and most likely, same settings, just outside and without flash. ( Alittle fuzzy on webcam )

Picture10.jpg

Last two weeks, I went to two birthdays, a cousins and my sisters. Both indoors, and seemingly light well enough. The first was my sisters, ( Chuck E. Cheese's ) The party area was dark, the play area, I thought, was lit well enough. Settings again, ISO 400, f16, 1/500. I did not think to change the ISO, because it's not onboard and does not show on the screen. That being said, it was probably my downfall, that and the fast shutter.
Heres a few pictures;

This was in the party area, it was dark, and I knew I had to use flash. I believe I had the flash on low power, I just think it would be better if alittle of the background showed and wasn't just black.

Picture11.jpg

Picture14.jpg

This is the game area, you can't see much of anything, you'll notice big windows though. Also, one picture has flash, but I was at a bad angle and you can't see the screen. Not to mention the abusive flash.

Picture15.jpg

Again, next to big windows, I figured it was good enough so..

Picture13.jpg

Picture12.jpg

Yeah, they were bad.
I am very disappointed with myself. Mainly because like 5/24 shots were even printable. But I kept going, and onto the next party. -Side note- Afterward, I had taken a picture of the group outside, which was still bright outside, yet all 3 different pictures were not able to be developed at all, I have no clue what the problem was then.

The room was slightly dark, I used flash the entire time. Settings again were ISO 400 ( still hadn't touched it ) f16, 1/500. Some turned out really well, again, black background but overall, okay.

3 good ones, same settings, I haven't a clue what went wrong, maybe I moved too much, I was knelt down and steady. The one bad picture of the table is dark because I had a polarizing filter on, for kicks. I note that the red filter shots did not show up at all, definately noted.

Picture16.jpg

Picture17.jpg

Picture18.jpg

Picture19.jpg

Picture21.jpg

Picture20-1.jpg

This was one of the games, intentionally set on a 2 second shutter for effect.

Picture22.jpg

More intentional long shutter shots. Also sky shots, I also used various filters, just to see what they do,but they did not show up at all. I remember that I had settings at f22, ISO 400, shutter I don't remember, but it was probably 500.

Picture23.jpg

Picture24.jpg

Picture25.jpg

Picture26.jpg

Thats all I've got to share. Quite a progression. My outdoor shots are fantastic ( I think ) but the indoors and trying to judge exact settings for various places I've found is quite tedious. I understand that this was a long post just to ask " Do you have any tips for judging ISO/Aperture/Shutter with varying light situations? " I felt the need to also share visualizations.

So yes, if you've got tips, if you would like to know something I left out, or if you would just like to comment I welcome it all. Just keep in mind I am brand new to having to judge settings. I feel it inside to use a film camera because I find the wait and suspense when opening the pictures up is largely more gratifying then just using a digital camera, even though it's more practical.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I think you are on the right track, and you are asking some good questions...but to get a better response, try posting one or two images at a time, with a specific question.

Thanks Mike!

I think I just need to know how to read a room/building's lighting to best set my ISO/Shutter.

Welcome to ThePhotoForum, B!
Congratulations to your getting that Minolta camera. I can tell that you had lots of fun filling that first film.
When you hand in the roll, can't you order for them to prepare you a picture CD in addition to the prints, so you have a digitalised version of your photos at once and need not painstakingly digitalise them for web-presentation by means of taking photos of the prints with the camera phone?

And well, yes, what Mike says: you get a better response when you post only a few photos (2 or 3) and ask a specific question about them, and start a new thread with a new question on another set of only few photos.

But what I can tell for sure is that you are playfully learning to use your camera well, and I am sure you'll get where you want to be quite soon! Only "downside" (if you want to see it like that) is that you have to pay for the prints in order to see and evaluate the process, while the digital photographers get instant gratification (or frustration, for that matter) and can stay with or delete their pictures right away, no suspense (i.e. waiting for the prints to be done), no waste (in money and prints). But maybe (actually I think so!) with film the process is even faster since you have to try to be "good" soon, as not to waste too much money.

Thanks Mike!

I think I just need to know how to read a room/building's lighting to best set my ISO/Shutter.

First of all, make sure your shutter speed is set to the reciprocal of your focal length.

if you have a 50mm lens, don't go any slower than 1/50 second. If you have a 200mm lens, stay faster than 1/200 second. This avoids camera shake. Then set your aperture to give you a proper exposure.

Have a read of the tutorials in my signature. They're written for digital cameras, but the only difference that you'll find is that you can't change your ISO on the go.

First of all, make sure your shutter speed is set to the reciprocal of your focal length.

if you have a 50mm lens, don't go any slower than 1/50 second. If you have a 200mm lens, stay faster than 1/200 second. This avoids camera shake. Then set your aperture to give you a proper exposure.

Have a read of the tutorials in my signature. They're written for digital cameras, but the only difference that you'll find is that you can't change your ISO on the go.

Finally some basic rules in lighting with corresponding settings! I really appreciate your guides Tiberius!

It appears as if I;
1. Had the shutter way too fast
2. Aperture way too narrow
3. Wrong film and ISO for the job ( 400 not 100 )

Also, I have a 35MM-70MM and 70MM-210MM lens. I suspect the right shutter will be 1/60 for the 70MM, and 1/225 for the other?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back