Beginners needing guidance in choosing a camera

CarolinaGirl527

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We are beginners looking to purchase our first DSLR camera and could definitely use some guidance. (And when I say beginners, I seriously mean beginners! We have no idea what any of the terms are and will be reading extensively about DSLR photography in the near future!) We're not looking to be professionals, but are recreational photographers hoping to get some great shots! From what I've read through reviews and such, I've (semi) narrowed it down to the Canon T3i and Nikon D5100. We have found kits for both within $80 dollars of each other (Canon - $980 / Nikon - $899). Of course, less money would be nice, but this is around the price range we are looking for. Each has a second lens included: 55-250mm lens for the Canon and 55-300mm lens for the Nikon. I would venture to guess that we would primarily shoot outdoor/nature scenes, but I feel like we might branch out one we get the hang of things. I would also like to record my son's marching band (outdoor) and concert band (indoor) performances, as well as take pictures during these events. Are there other cameras we should be looking at? Are these good ones to be narrowed down to? Is one better than the other for what we are looking for? Are these cameras beginner-friendly yet advanced enough to keep us busy for a long while? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks![h=1][/h]

Nikon vs Canon is a choice of taste, cant make it for you.

If you want to use the D5100 outdoors, make sure you get a rain protection.

I do not know (and cant find information about it) if the T3i is weather protected.

If you want to save money, the D3100 would be a cheaper alternative to the D5100. I still see it in shops, even if the successor D3200 is already out (but is not cheaper than the D5100). Of course its last generation - less high ISO tolerance, not the awesome dynamic range of D5100/D7000, much less resolution on monitor, etc.

Each has a second lens included: 55-250mm lens for the Canon and 55-300mm lens for the Nikon. I would venture to guess that we would primarily shoot outdoor/nature scenes, but I feel like we might branch out one we get the hang of things. I would also like to record my son's marching band (outdoor) and concert band (indoor) performances, as well as take pictures during these events. Are there other cameras we should be looking at? Are these good ones to be narrowed down to? Is one better than the other for what we are looking for? Are these cameras beginner-friendly yet advanced enough to keep us busy for a long while? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You won't be needing that for nature shots. Your 18-55mm, yes. For concert performances in-door your stock lenses may not be enough because they're slow (f/3.5-f/5.6) and will mean that your camera will raise up the ISO. And high ISO ruins shots because it reduces sharpness and introduces digital noise that makes all dark areas look bad. Your cheapest choice is getting a 50mm f/1.8 lens which on the crop will be closer to 85mm giving you decent zoom and allowing you to shoot in low light for cheap. You do loose the convenience of zoom though.

I can, get a Canon.

I kid, I kid..
Really both cameras are pretty much the same, what I usually suggest is for people to go pick them up on the display at BestBuy or whatever and try them in your hand. Get whichever feels better and has better ergonomics as technically, they're pretty much neck to neck.

This isn't good advice. I live in one of the rainiest environments in North America, and I have a camera that is not weather sealed. There are so many alternatives that unless you're planning on shooting regularly in torrential downpours, weather sealing isn't needed just because you're shooting outdoors. An umbrella works wonders in the rain. If you're worries about rain, following is a thread on how to cover your DSLR to protect it. I have a post at the end of the second page that gives the solution I've been using for quite a while.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/276005-covering-dslr.html

I do not know (and cant find information about it) if the T3i is weather protected.

It is not. I believe for Canon's weather sealing is only in the 5D (all flavors) and 1D (all flavors).

I live in one of the rainiest environments in North America, and I have a camera that is not weather sealed.

Unless you live in Washington, you ain't it.

Honestly I would go to a store that sells both, hold them, take a few practice shots and get a feel for both. Its the only way youll be able to pick between the two as the picture outcome is pretty much the same :) which ever one feels more comfortable in your hand, I say, get it!

I live in one of the rainiest environments in North America, and I have a camera that is not weather sealed.

HAH.

You've never been to SE Alaska, have you?

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/wettest.php

It only lists the top 10 in the Lower 48, notice what it says above the list. I live on Baranof Island, btw. We get almost twice the precipitation of the wettest paces in Washington. Nice try though!

The Olympic Penninsula is the wettest place in the Continental United States. But SE Alaska has the beat by a long shot.

Last edited:
The Canon T3i is a great camera to start out with. You may even be able to save yourself some money and get the prior version, the T2i. The biggest difference between the T2i and T3i is the articulated screen. If you need that, then go with the T3i. The pixels, focus points, shutter speed, iso, etc. are identical in both cameras. I'm not a Nikon person, so I can't speak for Nikon. You'll find photographers either in the Canon camp or Nikon camp and when you ask which to purchase, they will normally tell you to purchase the brand in which they shoot with. Nikon and Canon are great brands, so you won't go wrong with either. However, you should decide now, before you purchase, if you will go with Nikon or Canon, because one you start purchasing additional lenses, there is no turning back. That is, of course, unless you sell your lenses off in order to switch brands.

For what you're looking to do, I would personally go with the T3i. The kit lens is fine for now, since you're just starting out. You'll need to learn the right focal length that suits the type of photography you are looking to do. Once you find that focal length, you may want to invest in a prime lens (non-zoom), since you will normally achieve better results.

One last thing to keep in mind if you purchase lenses, the T4i is a crop sensor camera. If you think of the old 35mm film cameras, your camera will utilize a smaller area of the 35mm area. The crop factor is 1.6. So, if you are taking a picture with a 50mm lens, your focal length is actually 80mm (50*1.6). A benefit to this cropped sensor is you get some additional "zoom" with your lens. The disadvantage to this is you will miss some of your frame unless you step back further. You also lose some DOF (depth of field). The reason I say this, is when you are looking to purchase lenses for you T3i (if you go with that one), try to purchase EF lenses and no EF-S lenses. EF-S lenses are only for crop sensor's. So in the event you love photography and you get yourself a full frame camera, you'll be able to utilize those EF lenses with it.

Hope that helps a little.

Dude, seriously? It's not going to break out in a downpour whenever she takes her DSLR outside. I've never ever used rain protection when I had an entry level DSLR. You don't NEED rain protection or weather sealing at all. You just need to not be a fkn idiot and exercise common sense every once in a while.

And Gaerek, I believe the 7D is also weathersealed in addition to the 5D's and 1D's. Although the 1D's have far superior sealing to that of a 5D IMO.

Dude, seriously? It's not going to break out in a downpour whenever she takes her DSLR outside. I've never ever used rain protection when I had an entry level DSLR. You don't NEED rain protection or weather sealing at all. You just need to not be a fkn idiot and exercise common sense every once in a while.

And Gaerek, I believe the 7D is also weathersealed in addition to the 5D's and 1D's. Although the 1D's have far superior sealing to that of a 5D IMO.

I think you're right about the 7D. I couldn't remember off the top of my head. I believe the 5D and 7D have the same "level" as each other. If you're top concern is weather sealing, the 1D line is the best bet. But, like you, it's never been an issue, and I shoot a lot in the rain.

HAH.

Wettest Places in United States - Current Results

It only lists the top 10 in the Lower 48, notice what it says above the list. I live on Baranof Island, btw. We get almost twice the precipitation of the wettest paces in Washington. Nice try though!

The Olympic Penninsula is the wettest place in the Continental United States. But SE Alaska has the beat by a long shot.

I've been to Anchorage and Fairbanks, it doesn't rain that much. Not as much as down in Washington. I'd be lucky if I can get 1 good day in a week hiking in Olympic. And even then, it usually is just for a few hours.

HAH.

I've been to Anchorage and Fairbanks, it doesn't rain that much. Not as much as down in Washington. I'd be lucky if I can get 1 good day in a week hiking in Olympic. And even then, it usually is just for a few hours.

Ever been to Sitka? Juneau? Ketchikan? I specifically said SE (as in Southeast) AK. It'd be like me saying I've been to Yakima and Ellensburg (which I have been, family there) and it doesn't rain much there. It rains a lot in the Olymipic area, but Southeast Alaska (and Hawaii, for that matter) have anything in CONUS beat.

Oh, and my usual hiking attire is Xtra Tuff boots, and Grunden's rain gear. If you're not willing to hike in the rain here, you're not going hiking much, lol.

HAH.

Ever been to Sitka? Juneau? Ketchikan? I specifically said SE (as in Southeast) AK. It'd be like me saying I've been to Yakima and Ellensburg (which I have been, family there) and it doesn't rain much there. It rains a lot in the Olymipic area, but Southeast Alaska (and Hawaii, for that matter) have anything in CONUS beat.

Oh, and my usual hiking attire is Xtra Tuff boots, and Grunden's rain gear. If you're not willing to hike in the rain here, you're not going hiking much, lol.

I think you've missed my point so let me reiterate it for you.

"When" I have been to AK, it didn't rain in the places I went. But "when" I went to WA, it rained almost all the time. Therefore my argument wins. Right? Right? ;)

"When" I have been to AK, it didn't rain in the places I went. But "when" I went to WA, it rained almost all the time. Therefore my argument wins. Right? Right? ;)

...No?

I've been to Dover, England... And it rained the entire day I was there. Therefore it must be the rainiest part of England. It didn't rain in London while I was there, so it must be totally dry 24/7 and never experience any climate differences.

I think you've missed my point so let me reiterate it for you.

Well, let me reiterate my point. I said I lived in one of the rainiest places in the US, and you said "Unless you live in Washington, you ain't it." I simply showed you why I did live in one of the rainiest places in the US. Maybe I misunderstood what you were getting at, but you tried to use the fact that you've been to AK as proof as to why it doesn't rain much in Alaska. I don't really care where it rains more. I just don't like being called a liar. ;)

And, btw, Fairbanks is located in the middle of the Tundra. Tundra is a fancy word for "Cold Desert." It's extremely dry there, especially during the winter. It's also about the same distance as Seattle is from Mexico....and you wouldn't say that climate is similar, would you? All I really know is, I know what rain is. I know how to handle my gear in the rain. I laugh at tourists that wear ponchos and carry umbrellas while I wear my Columbia shell. And when I say I live in one of the wettest places in the US, I'm telling the truth. :p

Anyway, I apologize for getting this off-topic. To the OP, go try out several cameras in your budget and figure out what feels good to you. You will not make a bad choice if your choice is between Canon and Nikon. And don't worry about weather sealing. There's plenty of other ways to protect your gear from rain.

Most reactions

Back