JonMikal said:
did you carry mine along for angle comparision? i'd swear they were identical. if you got by only two DOJ guards, you did well!
No I didn't, but when I shot the other door (the one closer to the Post Office) first. There was no one around, so I just set up the tripod and had at it. Then I started heading up toward Archives, and I saw the other door, and there was a very nice older guard standing there, so I asked him if I could take a picture of the mosaic. He asked me if I had ID, so I showed him my NASA badge, and he said no problem. We were chatting and he told me that the mosaics by the gate entrance had just been redone and I should check that out. (Oh, I forgot, he called it in on my walkie-talkie that there was a government employee taking pictures of the mosaics). I told him that this particular mosaic had special meaning. We continued chatting and he was telling me how he agreed how absurd the whole not being allowed to take pictures thing was. He said if I were to step off the curb there would be nothing he could do to stop me, all the CCTV cameras had already taken MY picture, so who cared? And that's not even counting the thousands of tourists a day who walk by and take pictures.
Anyway, so when I was done, I went back over to the gate entrance and asked if I could take a picture of that mosaic. They asked for my ID, then they called the inspector who came out and looked at my ID, then they called someone else. Finally it was agreed that I could take pictures of the mosaics as long as it was only of the mosaic, no the gate, and I was outside of the gate. After I took two pictures (which I happily showed to the guard (who actually seemed excited to look at them), and was packing up the cam and the tripod, they asked me for my driver's license. Then they asked if they could photocopy it. I said they could but wanted to know why they had to. The chief was there (actually for an unrelated thing, but stuck around because of me). He told the guard to just write down the info he needed and that he didn't need to photocopy my license.
Having said all of that, I got some good mosaic pics, the guards were super friendly and recognized the absurdity of the events occurring, and I was soooo tempted to walk across the street and take a picture of the gate. Butu I decided that I didn't want to spend Christmas Day in jail, so I didn't. I walked up to Gallary Place/China Town and got on the Red Line and went home.