being too nice

I hope I haven't been too nice. Maybe I should just put this in every post to balance out the niceness...
cowell.jpg
http://www.digitaljournal.com/images/photo/cowell.jpg

That should totally be my new avatar.

Now the thread has been locked down due to the critique becoming a little enflamed, but what you, (Mods) need to realise is that constructive critisism without the slagging is the way foreward.

i kinda posted this in another thread already but I agree.

People/Mods here are so quick to want to close/lock a thread cause of the tiniest things: "AH, TINY ARGUMENT, LOCK THE THREAD!!!", "AH, I DON'T AGREE, LOCK THE THREAD!!!", "AH, THEIR GETTING A TINY BIT OFF THE SUBJECT OF THE ORIGIONAL QUESTION, LOCK THE THREAD!!!", "AH, DOUBLE POST, LOCK THE THREAD!!!", "AH, THIS THREAD DOESN'T PERFECTLY FIT THE GUIDELINES OF THIS FORUM SECTION, MOVE THE THREAD IMMEDIATELY!!!" nobody is going to get hurt over arguing over the internet, unfortunately the technology hasn't been invented yet to be able to have physical contact through a computer

This site has 16000 members but you only see the same 50 posting. I can start a thread, come back in a week, and it will only have 1 reply but still be at the top of the first page. I can see why people don't stick around long after signing up for this forum

I'm questioning/arguing about the way the forum is sometimes ran, thread lock in 3...2...1...

I don't know about you, but in all of the critiques I've been a part of, which were harsh, none of them involved personal attacks, or calling someone else's ideas BS. There are a few members here who regularly get out of hand and lack any tact or grace in expressing their ideas or feelings.

If this is true, which is likely, do something about the specific member (warn, suspend, ban) but don't lock the thread that 50 people want to conversate in just because of 1 or 2 bad apples

People/Mods here are so quick to want to close/lock a thread cause of the tiniest things: "AH, TINY ARGUMENT, LOCK THE THREAD!!!", "AH, I DON'T AGREE, LOCK THE THREAD!!!", "AH, THEIR GETTING A TINY BIT OFF THE SUBJECT OF THE ORIGIONAL QUESTION, LOCK THE THREAD!!!", "AH, DOUBLE POST, LOCK THE THREAD!!!", "AH, THIS THREAD DOESN'T PERFECTLY FIT THE GUIDELINES OF THIS FORUM SECTION, MOVE THE THREAD IMMEDIATELY!!!" nobody is going to get hurt over arguing over the internet, unfortunately the technology hasn't been invented yet to be able to have physical contact through a computer

This site has 16000 members but you only see the same 50 posting. I can start a thread, come back in a week, and it will only have 1 reply but still be at the top of the first page. I can see why people don't stick around long after signing up for this forum

I'm questioning/arguing about the way the forum is sometimes ran, thread lock in 3...2...1...
:lol: I'm sure this made you feel a lot better.

Now, if you know of which forum(s) you can post in around here where you can come back in a week and have it still be at the top of the first page, please let everyone else know, wouldja?? Usually, the complaints are geared toward how fast the pages move! ;)

Actually, last I knew, we had over 300 unique registered members that sign onto this site everyday. And that number may be higher by now.

And locked threads do not happen all that often around here, and when they do, they are for a good reason. This forum has rules and policies in place to keep it running smoothly...and for 4 years, those rules and policies have treated us well, as we have one of the most civilized forums I've ever seen.

When those rules and policies are broken, yes, we are going to step in and do something about it.

Sometimes the method you mentioned when it comes to a member getting out of hand works....often it does not. Arguments and disagreements are fine. We do not close threads due to arguments and disagreements. We close threads when personal attacks occur. We close threads when policies such as the 'no politics' policy have been broken.

We do not let things get wild and willy nilly with flames and severe disrespect. Why would a prospective new member want to stick around when that sort of thing is allowed?

And I am unsure what is so bad about moving a thread to the proper forum? :scratch: Things are much easier to navigate when they are orderly, and you will more than likely get more replies if you are in the correct forum.

Looking at the threads you've started, you have a good number of replies to many of these. The ones that you have posted at that have 5 or less replies are in General Gallery/The Beginners Place, two forums that move at a very fast rate! I'm very satisfied to get 5 replies to a picture I put in general, because it is so fast paced. Other threads out of these two have many replies. 33, 10, 8. Those are all good numbers for replies.

I think this forum is moderated smoothly and fairly, without going overboard. It's a very comfortable place to be compared to many other forums.

Eric.

I may have made it out to be worse than it really is, but I have seen it happen. And although some of my threads may have a lot of posts, that doesn't reflect thier speed. for example my thread that you said had 33 replies, took 3 months to get those replies, also I didn't realize how unpopular that Photoshop section is though, as it doesn't even have a full page of threads

it wasn't that bad to begin with, I guess I'm just a little annoyed cause the last two threads I've been involved in had problems. One was closed where I saw no serious problem and the second got no helpful replies (apparently nobody on the forum knows how to create panos)

I think you need to realize that this forum, as great as it can be, is not your personal source of information, nor is a substitute for a proper education, where you will indeed learn to use equipment technically and artistically, by doing, and participate in real face to face critiques.

I get the feeling more and more that some people treat this as their personal photography tech support hotline. It's not that. It's a gathering place of like minded (hopefully) individuals that share a love of photography. We can't answer every question for you, nor can we provide a detailed critique of every photo you post. We do our best. This was a different place 2 years ago. The membership has expanded at an astonishing rate, and with it, the number of inexperienced photographers looking for advice. There is always your local library, your community college, and google, or, just plain old bumping your thread up, and asking again for advice.

sometimes it is a bit slow on here... well, then just bump your image ..and you will get replies. but it also depends on the sub-forums you post here.. some are more active some less.

that is totally different from my experience. If the tone stays correct and things do not get political, then mods on here are very relaxed.

on other forums you get banned for just asking the "wrong" question.

I am quite happy with this place and the way it is run.

it wasn't that bad to begin with, I guess I'm just a little annoyed cause the last two threads I've been involved in had problems.

well, that I would just call bad luck ;) Of my don't know how many threads, some also had problems .. but well, that is life ... ;)

One was closed where I saw no serious problem and the second got no helpful replies (apparently nobody on the forum knows how to create panos)

did i miss that pano thread? I am struggling with panos myself at the moment. but then again I was almost absent all of the last 3 weeks since I was so busy.

One was closed where I saw no serious problem and the second got no helpful replies (apparently nobody on the forum knows how to create panos)

Honestly, I must have missed that thread as well... And for that I'm sorry... I was thinking about putting up a little tutorial for Lafoto about stitching and panos. Almost all of mine are panos these days (only because I have a 3.1MP camera and I have a lense that just doesn't quite get the whole picture that I wanted). I really need a 10-20mm lense.

Most reactions

Back