Belt mount lens carrier

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As business is picking up I finally got my dual, matching bodies. In the past I had a primary camera FX and my "backup" or times I really need a second body DX body.

In the past I mostly kept my primary camera on a short tether hooked to the left shoulder strap of a sling bag. In the sling bag I was able to carry a lens or two or whatever extra gear I thought I might need shooting an event. Everything else stayed in my main bag and I would get items as/if needed. If I used my second body it would get slung on my right side. Ultimately this was very cumbersome.

After working with a photographer that used a belt system I decided to try one. I went with the Promedia set, SH1BK2 Dual Camera Belt Holster System for DSLRs and Mirrorless Camera and then built my own belt that met my needs. Typically I will have the traditional 24-70 on one body and 70-200 on the other.

Now that I will not be carrying the sling bag anymore I am trying to decide what the best way is to carry 1-2 lenses (primes likely a 50mm or 85mm), or a flash, or water bottle or whatever else I might want. I do not need a dedicated pouch for each item but maybe 1 or 2 pouches that are "universal". On the flip side I don't want to feel over loaded or look ridiculous while so wide/round that I run into everything.

So far I am looking at 3 types of systems and they are not really the same:
1. Peak Design Lens Kit, but they do not make a Z mount yet. I also have some concerns about damage to the mount, or stuff falling into the open side while in the up position.
2. Think Tank either Skin or Lens Changer likely in the 50 and 75 series for versatility. The pro of this they are dedicated lens bags, but I read they are fairly bulky.
3. What is called a dump bag in tactical gear. They come in various sizes. What I like about this is that they are intended to be rolled/folded up fairly small when not in use.

Is there a system I am missing that might fit my need. What are you experience using any of these systems.

I have used a fanny pack able to hold an 85, a second flash. With 46 mp, I have ditched the beast 70-200 and have a 135 2.0 dc on the second body. I can crop he heck out of it to the angle of view of 180 or 200. Same from 70mm on the 24-70 bread and butter event lens.

I use a belt/suspender setup with lens pouches for individual lenses.
I found this MUCH easier to use than carrying a bag.

The suspender is required because I cannot tighten the belt TIGHT, because of a back injury.
Plus if your waist is wider than your hips, the belt will slide down your pants onto the floor.

The individual lens pouches let me take off a lens from the camera and put in into it's pouch without having to juggle lenses when you don't have individual pouches. By juggle, what I mean is: take the lens out of the pouch and hold with one hand, while with the other hand, you remove the lens from the camera, and put the lens into the pouch that you pulled the other lens out of.
I don't like the soft pouches, cuz I have to hold it open with one hand and put the lens in with the other hand. I would prefer it just stiff enough to stay open, so that I can just put the lens into the pouch with ONE hand.
The belt loop is important. The pouch should stay upright. Too loose and the pouch could tip over, and dump your lens onto the ground. When I put my 70-200 into the pouch, I make sure to put the pouch cord over the tripod foot, to hold the lens in the case.

In addition to the lens pouches, a "general pouch" for other "stuff."

It is just a hassle to put the kit on.

I have used a fanny pack able to hold an 85, a second flash. With 46 mp, I have ditched the beast 70-200 and have a 135 2.0 dc on the second body. I can crop he heck out of it to the angle of view of 180 or 200. Same from 70mm on the 24-70 bread and butter event lens.
Sadly, at the moment the longest Z lens is the 105 macro and nothing longer in the near future. I like the concept though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back