BEST amature DSLR for under $1000?

peresz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm into architecture, landscape, and really all kinds of photography, but I don't know squad about DSLR specifications though I learn really quickly and I'm quite efficient in Photoshop.
Photography is really just a hobby, though it could grow into something more for me, so I'm looking for the camera that has good functions with some professional abilities. Something that would also would work great for the night shoots with low light without flash is a plus.
After doing a bit of a research I found out that the Canon EOS Rebel XS is the optimal choice. Is this true, or should i consider something else like Nikon D80/90?

You could get a 40D & a 50mm f/1.8 for that budget! Of course with a 1.6 crop factor the resulting 80mm would be a bit tight indoors (although fast and with good low light performance)... and you would want a decent zoom within minutes. Be advised the nifty fifty can be tough to focus at wider apertures.

So I'm kinda messing with ya here, although excellent condition used 40D's can be had with decent lenses off Craigs for example, so if you want room to grow and 6 fps shooting, exposure bracketing and such then consider finding a loved used model. The market is hot right now with so many people getting newer models.

I sold my 40D with the 17-85mm kit lens for $1,000 about 2 months ago. Perfect condition, just over 4K actuations - never even had to wet clean the sensor.

If you have smaller hands the Rebel may suite your needs, but most love the feel of a semi-pro unit.

-Shea

Between Canon and Nikon, choose whatever fits your hands best and is easiest for you to manage the controls. Other than that, there's not much between them. From a little personal experience, the D90 is a definite improvement over the models it replaces, incorporating a number of Nikon's high-end features.

Nikon has four classes of DSLRs...
- Entry Level: D40, D60
- Mid Level: D80, D90
- Pro DX: D200, D300
- Pro FX: D700, D3

Canon has three...
- Entry level: XTi, XS, XSi
- Mid/Pro crop frame: 40D, 50D
- Pro full frame: 5D, 1D

Canon's three lines coincide approximately with Nikon's top three lines.

Is 40D in some way "better" then rebel XS or XSi?
I found this chart, but the characteristics are about the same...

The 40D is a step up in terms of features and build quality. It has a larger pentaprism viewfinder will make a noticeable difference in shooting, it uses of CF cards for faster write performance and I think it has more dedicated controls. It is also built of a much better feeling material. The entry-level Canons are made of a smooth, cheap-feeling plastic whereas the 40D uses a more rugged and textured plastic, similar to the material even the cheapest Nikons use.

That said, it is an older generation camera than the XS and XSi. For all I know, the XS and XSi may perform better overall.

Personally, I find Nikons much easier to hold, because I don't have the gorilla hands that Canon seems to design their cameras for.

Last edited:
So if i were to choose between XSi and D90, which one would be the best out of these deals:

Canon EOS Rebel XSi (a.k.a. 450D) SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm IS Lens & 55-250mm IS Lens
for $ 789.95

Nikon - D-90 12.3 MEGAPIXEL DX FORMAT DIGITAL SLR CAMERA BODY with Nikon - AF-S DX 18-55MM F/3.5-5.6G VR (VIBRATION REDUCTION) ZOOM LENS FOR DIGITAL SLRS (52MM) - FACTORY REFURB
for $969.98

Nikon D90 DX-Format Digital SLR Camera Body & Free 8G SD Card with Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens, w/ Nikon 5-Year USA Warranty

for $994.91

Since I have gorilla hands :lmao: I best kept my mouth full of bananas... so I'm now signing to you :thumbup::

U seem like the kinda person who will outgrow the kits lens, and start looking for faster sharper glass inside 6 months. Physic gorilla has spoken.

<-- beats chest and hobbles back to cave. ;)

-Shea

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Digital-Reduction-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0015GEJZ0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1230162217&sr=1-4"]Or you could get one of these..[/ame] :razz:

XSi and the D90 are two different teir cameras.

I hate to say this, but use the search forum. This question has been asked multiple times. I would buy something at your level. Are you a beginner? D40 or Xs or XSi. Have you used a film SLR or a DSLR before? If you've used them moderatly, go with a D90 or a 40D. Most of your money is going to be spent on finding the right glass for what you want to shoot. I hear it also depends on what u want to shoot. Canon and Nikon are better in other areas vs. each other.

-JD-

id go with a d40 and the "stock" lens. Use that for a while, see what you want to improve on (speed, range etc) and buy the lens that is best suited for what you are doing. The lens is just as important (if not more) than the camera.

hmm, D40 doesn't have Live view option. I guess its not that important, but can be quite useful in some situations..

hmm, D40 doesn't have Live view option. I guess its not that important, but can be quite useful in some situations..
I would never consider LV to be a deciding point for a DSLR. It defeats the whole purpose of actually looking through the lens in real time.

No, no, no, you've all gotten it wrong...(Now with moar live viewz)

Or a used E-510 body with 14-54 and 50-200, now that's a high quality, great optic kit for a grand. Yes, I just plugged the gear in my sig, but I wouldn't sell it for NUTHIN'!

And if you ever upgrade to the E-3, with those lenses it's all 100% water and dust proof.

I decided that my next camera will be a Nikon D40 but a camera that kept coming up during my research was the Pentax K200D. If best buy carried it, where I have a few gift cards, I would be getting that instead. The pentax has AF built into the camera body and just seems like a great entry level dslr camera overall.

By the way, have you held the cameras in your hands? Have you been to an electronics or camera store and fired off a few shots or seen the cameras turned on? I was sold after playing around with the Nikon D40, D60, and Canon XS. Spend time with it in your hands, get a feel for the cameras.

Last edited:
i did tried them out. And for some unknown reasons i want the D90, but its feels a bit to bulky in my hands, and the AF button is kinda high and hard to reach, though I liked that the function scroll wheel is on the left side which is easier to reach. On the other hand, Xsi is much smaller and a bit liter, and the price is much better for it, even with 2sets of lenses. But then again, Nikon has all of those awesome features...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back