Best B&W Film For Scanning

bruce282

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got an Epson V700 on the way and was just wondering which of the various B&W films, both 100 and 400 speed, would scan the best in your opinion.

I use a local photo shop to develop the film and they'll pull or push the film if I ask.

Thanks,

Bruce

I dont think it maters about the film,iuse a V350 in college and ive used a few different films,and they all turn out the same. but obviously for lower grain use iso100 or lower. i beleive the scanners capable of transfering film to digital which gives the image a 6mp count.but dont hold me to that,it might be higher or lower.its just an average what i was told in college.

The C41 B&W is supposed to be pretty good for scanning though I haven't personally tried it.
I've used a lot of Kodak BW400CN (C41 B&W) and liked the results. You should be able to find that at the drug store. Grain is pretty fine for 400 speed film.

I also really like Fuji Neopan SS 100. Hard to find in N. America, but Freestyle has it. For $3 a roll it's a pretty good deal - IMO anyway. I don't think B&H carries it...

Fuji Neopan Acros 100 (not the same as the SS version - Acros has finer grain) is nice too.

I don't think it really matters... Just try a few and see which one you like.

I haven't really encountered a film that 'scans bad' - some are just grainier than others.

i beleive the scanners capable of transfering film to digital which gives the image a 6mp count.but dont hold me to that,it might be higher or lower.its just an average what i was told in college.
It all depens on what resolution you scan at... My scanner goes up to 9600ppi - which is way too large. Something like 50 MP... Obviously, the grain will be more visible at that size, and any focus error, etc will be quite obvious - but it's possible.

I usually scan somewhere between 6400 and 3200ppi - depending on the picture.

C41 black and white film is the best for scanning, but then it's not really black and white film--might as well shoot color and convert to black and white.

I personally like fuji neopan acros 100 and tmax 400. I also like the fuji SS, as it's super cheap and has very good tonality--but with a lot of grain.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back