Best camera for concerts that security will allow? Also, best P&S camera with in-camera HDR?

TimmyD11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went to see U2 the other night, got really close but not close enough for a cell phone, and it aggravated me that I did not have any camera with me because I was so close I would imagine a fair camera with with a moderate optical zoom would have gotten some great results. (especially now with 1" sensors and built in lenses with wider apertures allowing more light in?)

So now I am shopping for a camera, I want to be prepared for next time. I see most point and shoot cameras with long lenses still have small sensors, but a few are starting to get 1" sensors. Do any of you think these would be good for concert photography? Can you recommend a few? (I just need to make sure they aren't too big or look too "pro" as they are more likely to be turned away by venue security)

I am also wanting to purchase maybe a separate point and shoot with some great in-camera HDR and artistic modes for landscape (forest and mountain) photography primarily. Again I want to get something with a larger sensor (as long as they are offering that now!) and pretty good optics.

I'm thinking I will need (or should get) 2 separate cameras for these different applications?

But then I thought if I get 2 good point and shoot cameras it might be wiser to look into a mirrorless camera with lenses...

but that might look too pro or too big to security at stadiums and arenas and they might deny me entry with it...which will be a problem as other fans line up along the stage while I go put it back in my car...or worse yet, have nowhere to put it if I took the train to the venue.

Thanks for any and all advice you can give.

Last edited:
I'd recommend either the p and s idea. Something like a set of m43 cams, 2 fast primes and a zoom. This might not be as expensive as you think. Add the filters and stuff in computer later if you want

I'm sorry, I'm new to the lingo / slang! Fast primes? Are you talking interchangeable lenses? On a point and shoot? m43? Micro 4/3 sensor?

Yes, small interchangeable lens cameras with interchangeable lenses. Obviously build up to what you need, but something like an Olympus EM10 with a Panasonic 12-60mm lens initially.

You could then add a wideangle prime lens for when you are close up, and something longer for distance, there are loads a second hand options with these types of camera

I'm sure it does depend very much on the security guard.

Last concert I went to, I brought in a small micro four thirds camera with a 17mm/2.8 prime fitted, which at a quick glance looked like a P&S. In my knee pocket I had a 45-200 zoom (90-400 equiv), security didn't even glance at it. Once at my seat the lenses where swapped & I had a decent (if somewhat slow) system available capable of isolating individual band members from the circle :)

but that might look too pro or too big to security at stadiums and arenas and they might deny me entry with it...which will be a problem as other fans line up along the stage while I go put it back in my car...or worse yet, have nowhere to put it if I took the train to the venue.
How lucky can you be at every chance? Most events (any and all, AFIK) restrict any cameras with removable lenses. Do you want to stand in line (que) for hours only to be stopped at the gate when your camera is not allowed in?

petrochemist was lucky enough to slip past the gatekeeper, but I wouldn't want to waste my time hoping for a similar situation.

Start looking for the best P&S camera with the physical features you want, and forget the special effects processing in camera (in my opinion) because you can do your editing on the computer later.

The only reason you need it done in the camera is if you plan to post your finished photos immediately while you're still at the concert. If they can't wait until you get home, then get one that does everything you need in camera. But then your smart phone can do that part, it just cannot zoom to telephoto very well.

Look up websites for arenas in your area or any where you expect to go to concerts and see what their policies are for cameras - before you buy something you won't be able to use. Depends on the venue; one near me absolutely will not let anyone in with a telephoto lens - they tell people to go put it in their car.

Other places may allow a p&s or shorter lens. Every place I've been checks bags and purses; even when I had a press pass they'd still check my bag.

You're paying so much to attend a concert, just sit back and enjoy the show.
Also, Sony RX1R II

that being said...the last concert I attended was Puddles Pity Party
He told me it was cool to bring whatever I wanted. I had a D810 with a 105mm f/1.4

Puddles Pity Party

The compact Panasonic Lumix ZS100 has a one inch sensor and a fixed 25-250mm, f/2.8-5.9 lens. My guess is I'd have at least a few shots with pretty impressive results if I'm close. Can anybody confirm and agree or argue otherwise?

Otherwise I was thinking that the Sony mirrorless 6300 is pretty small, but it also requires interchangeable lenses and looks kind of pro-ish.

I attend a lot of concerts. The venues I attend, (SoCal), all have different rules and the rules are posted on their websites. Also, you have to be aware if the sponser of the event is the venue or is it a "Leased" event, in which case the leasee makes the rules. A week ago I saw Queen at the Hollywood Bowl. It was a leased event, no cameras were allowed. A few weeks earlier at another Bowl event, the Playboy Jazz Festival, no interchangable lens cameras were allowed. At Dodger stadium, no lenses longer than six inches are allowed. So do your homework.

Last edited:
Here is my honest opinion.

Unless I was specifically going to concert to take photos, then I'd obviously have some kind of photo pass or something.

But if I was going to a concert to have fun, that's exactly what I'd do. I wouldn't even bother taking photos. I wouldn't want to watch a whole concert through the lcd screen and besides most bands hate it when they see their fans on their photos rather than enjoying the show the band is putting on for you. Seriously, look at all the YouTube videos of bands stopping in the middle of a song, or leaving out an amazing solo because everyone is on their damn phone. In my opinion, it's disrespectful to band.

But again, this is just my honest opinion. You can do whatever you want.

For a camera recommendation, I'd say the Sony RX100 III, IV, V or the Canon G7X MKII. Something small with decent sensor (1") and fast zoom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back