Best Camera for skydiving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and the still camera would be in my hand and strapped to me on a short leash (are you allows to do that?).

And in that 15 seconds or less, one could take a few pictures, however, likely only one set of settings could possibly be used in that time. I doubt one could stop, take 5-10 seconds change/test settings and continue.

I would say use a D3 and 14-24.

Why specifically a D3? What advantage would a D3 offer over, let's say, a D700, a D300... or even a simple good point and shoot like a Canon G10?

I am not 100% sure, but I believe the new dSLR cameras with video have no autofocus (or a very slow autofocus at best)... which is something that would add drastically to the quality. Most new video cameras have both a quick and effective autofocus and HD capture capability of which a frame capture could be used to make adequate prints of up to 16X20 (I have a Sony HD handycam and have a single 16X20 print of very good but not excellent quality).

I love dSLR cameras, but one would think more importantly, it is about using the right tool for the right job. :)

This guy managed it. He was using a mouth operated shutter release. I'm not sure what the eye piece is for though. I didn't get a chance to ask about it.

redbull08157.jpg

Welcome to TPF. :thumbup:

Having contributed to one of the completely dry tributaries (old, long dead thread), come join everyone else in the mainstream.

Yeah for sure. The GoPro didn't exist more than a year ago (unlike this thread). Had the question been asked now I'd say go for it. It's a real purpose built HD camera specifically for this kind of thing.

A mate has one and uses it to video tape his epic cycling journeys. The video is stunning quality, full HD, and the entire camera almost fits into a matchbox.

Camera is a precious thing which stores memorable events. Skydiving is an interesting and exciting game. Taking snaps of skydiving shots and place them in safe place.

When I went skydiving, the guy had a Rebel XTi with 18-55 and a high def compact video camera on his helment. I don't know any details how it was mounted but, he used a mouth trigger. It would be similar to what a water camel pack would be, you bite the tip and it takes a picture.

The pictures came out great. All you would have to do is set it to focus on the closest subject.

There is enough contrast between the sky, the jumper and ground that the camera will be able to focus. He also put black duct tape on the lens to keep it from rotating. Looking at my pictures, I don't think it was set at 18mm, its be too wide.

~Michael~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back