Best Camera under a DSLR?***How do i master my Nikon Coolpix S710?

Kulsh123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, im new here but i got two dire newbie questions i NEED to be answered. I hope i've come to the right place :D. I love Photography. Maybe im not the best and usually resort to sticking to Auto Mode or Scene Selector but i love it none the less. I love taking pictures of ANYTHING. Now prior to coming here...i did some research and i think i became another victim of the classic "I wanna do photography and i went out and bought an amazing camera but i cant use the full features of it yet". I bought a Nikon Coolpix S710. I want to learn how to grasp ALL the features and what not of the camera...can you guys recommend any books/videos/guides? I looked but there isnt any books specific to the camera...ill keep looking though.

On to the second question...i read someone said that if your unsure or not willing to commit to lenses and all that, a DSLR isnt something you would wanna invest in...but a REALLY nice camera that doesnt use external lenses. What do you folks recommend as the best camera UNDER a DSLR? I know i know, i wont get the SAME quality...but i want the best camera under a DSLR thats still digital. Recommendations?

for your first question, there are hundreds, if not thousands of posts here already answering that question, do a search in the forum for things like "beginner, books, noob, newbie" and you'll find them...

as for question #2, for the price you would pay for a camera "just under a dslr" you can get a dslr, so.. i recommend you get a low end dslr..

I bought a Nikon Coolpix S710. I want to learn how to grasp ALL the features and what not of the camera...can you guys recommend any books/videos/guides? I looked but there isnt any books specific to the camera...ill keep looking though.
There doesn't seem to be any books available for that specific P&S so you'll just have to read the manual and play around with it until you're familiar with everything.

Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

Digital Photography Composition Tips

How To Photograph...
On to the second question...i read someone said that if your unsure or not willing to commit to lenses and all that, a DSLR isnt something you would wanna invest in...but a REALLY nice camera that doesnt use external lenses. What do you folks recommend as the best camera UNDER a DSLR? I know i know, i wont get the SAME quality...but i want the best camera under a DSLR thats still digital. Recommendations?
Advanced P&S: Canon G10 or Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3.

SuperZoom Bridge Camera: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS or Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28

dSLRs can get very expensive in a hurry. Something like the SX10is is a great camera for someone that doesnt want to make the plunge into the dSLR market and have to worry about getting different lenses to take different types of pictures. I have the baby sister the S2IS and still take that out from time to time to play with even though I do own a dSLR.

I've read lots of good things about the Canon G series. Something like a G9 or G10 or even a G7 (oldie but goodie) would probably work well since it's compact enough to carry around, has decent zoom range and has manual features. If you don't mind carrying a bigger camera around, the bigger superzooms are mostly good. Canon, Kodak, Nikon, Panasonic and the other brands make some good superzooms. I have a Panasonic FZ7 and it produces some impressive shots (of course I as the photographer am a necessary part of making a good shot). I definitely think (and know) this is much cheaper than going dSLR, as long as you don't get sick of the camera and end up goind dSLR...

Thank you guys SO much! Especially you Samanax. I bookmarked those links...definitely going to be reading those.

Also, i see a lot of you recommending the Canon G10? Doing so research on it, it seems a lot of its features are similar to my Nikon S710. Maybe i'll give it a shot though...

The Nikon Coolpix Field Guide might help though I'm not sure if has reference to the specific model. It may be worth checking out in a local bookstore before buying.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Field-Guide/dp/0470168536/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236032607&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Nikon COOLPIX Digital Field Guide: J. Dennis Thomas: Books[/ame]

dSLRs can get very expensive in a hurry. Something like the SX10is is a great camera for someone that doesnt want to make the plunge into the dSLR market and have to worry about getting different lenses to take different types of pictures. I have the baby sister the S2IS and still take that out from time to time to play with even though I do own a dSLR.

I couldn't agree more with you! I have a Canon SX110is and LOVE it! people who aren't big into photography just think its a DSLR. the only thing I wish .... is that it could change lenses :( time for a new canon. honestly if I had to do it all over again... I would have waited a couple more months, and threw an extra $300 and gotten a Canon DSLR. thats just me. I am VERY happy with my advanced point and shoot, still could have done it bettter and waited. maybe you should think about waiting? just a thought

I couldn't agree more with you! I have a Canon SX110is and LOVE it! people who aren't big into photography just think its a DSLR. the only thing I wish .... is that it could change lenses :( time for a new canon. honestly if I had to do it all over again... I would have waited a couple more months, and threw an extra $300 and gotten a Canon DSLR. thats just me. I am VERY happy with my advanced point and shoot, still could have done it bettter and waited. maybe you should think about waiting? just a thought

The thing to consider about a camera such as the SX10is is that it has huge zoom capability. To get the same kind of zoom you are looking at thousands for a lens comparable to that zoom range.

Ya I LOVE the 10X zoom of it. its great. my 70-300mm on my SLR goes almost as far, but still can't beat it! I don't think I will ever get rid of my SX110is. I should have the money soon enough to get a DSLR. you have to love having choices! The SX really takes an amazing quality picture IMO at least. I just posted up some too.

So to the OP check for my thread so you can see the SX110is quality of pictures

Most reactions

Back