Best camera?

For that budget and for macro, and assuming used prices, I'd go with Nikon D7100 and AF 60mm f2.8 micro, or the Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro.

The D7100 seems to be at $400 used and both the AF 60mm f2.8 micro and the Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro are at $250 used.

Neither the AF 60mm f2.8 micro nor the Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro will autofocus on noob cameras, i.e. the D3x00 and D5x00 varieties.

If you want to shoot insects, you should definitely prefer the Tokina for its longer focal length.

There are many multiple options for lenses and you don't necessarily need to go with one specific manufacturer.

Look around.

The big 3 these days are Nikon, Canon, and Sony. A lot of people these days are shooting Fuji too. They all make great picture takers. Look at as many as you can and choose the one that fits your hands the best. I personally like the way Nikon gear works so I stick with Nikon. You may like something else better though so shop around.

I pulled the trigger on the Canon Rebel SL2.

You don't use digital zoom in the same way on a DSLR as you may have done with your old Point-and-Shoot camera. There may be the option to zoom in on the rear screen while composing and focusing the image on your SL2, but then the image is taken at the zoom setting of the lens. If you have the 18-55mm zoom lens then that is the zoom range you have.

You may be able to later crop the image in the camera or can you crop it in software - that is basically the same as the "Digital Zoom" feature of your old P&S camera.

As you wanted to do close-up or macro photography - there are a number of ways to do this. I started out with some close-up filters that just screw onto the front of the lens. These can be very cheap and I was given a set when I first started taking pictures. When I started using a DSLR on of the first lenses I bought was a macro lens - these let you do 1:1 very easily.

the newer Rebel SL3 has a few more features
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

But in the SL3 and two other new d-slr models. Canon deliberately ELIMINATED the large, center or generic "fire" contact from the hotshoe in the SL3..thus breaking the camera's compatibility with dozens ( hundreds?)of non-Canon-dedicated flashes and non-Canon-dedicated flash triggers.

Last edited:
Hi!

Can someone suggest a good camera for landscapes and cityscapes (urban landscape)?

The camera brand might not matter.. MANY great photos were made with crappy cameras in the hands of lucky or skilled shooters.

Camera MODEL is another factor..some, very few, photos are made by leveraging high-end features, but these are a very small minority of all photos.

A Fujifilm entry level body (X-A5, X-E3, or X-T100) with the 15-45 zoom would be a good idea. The 15-45 zoom because it gives sufficient wide angle for landscape and cityscape. Later you might want to add for example the 55-200mm because landscape isnt exclusively wide angle.

Most reactions

Back