Best cheap SLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for an e-bay special with manual controls. I recently picked up an Olympus OM-10 for cheap, but it's mainly an auto camera with a flash option that gives it a static shutter speed of 1/60 and I'd like something I can manually control the shutter speed on. What suggestions do you guys have? Should I look at an Oly OM-1n? Should I go look at Contax, Pentax, or something else?

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money here and I'd like to find something with a lens system that has some decent primes I can find for a relatively low price.

What do you consider cheap?

I paid $200 for my Nikon F3, for example.. pro body. You can get an FM for under $100.

Nikon F100 bodies can now be had for $150-$189 and are modern, capable, fast-focusing 35mm SLRs...one of the absolute finest 35mm SLR's you're likely to find,and they are world's better than say, the FM or FE series bodies (which I owned and still like, but which are...like 20 years earlier...). Plus, lots of good primes, affordably. Just buy the BGN ones from KEH.com...scuffed up barrels, but still good, for peanuts. MOST people will not buy a BGN or UGLY lens...so the price is really,really,really low compared to an EXC or EXC+, and often like 10x less than a Mint Minus will bring.

Canon AE-1 would fit the bill as well. Lots of Canon FD lenses for sale very cheap. You can usually find these camera's locally and will often come with more than one lens and possibly a flash and other things. Seen lots of these cameras well under $100.
I bought the FD 50mm f1.4 for $20 at the local camera store.

I have an F100 I will gladly sell you. It is in exceptional shape.

I'd go with a Minolta XD-11. Manual, Shutter & Aperture priority.

I'm looking for an e-bay special with manual controls. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money here and I'd like to find something with a lens system that has some decent primes I can find for a relatively low price.
Body usually is not that pricy but you choose the body, you will have to live with the lenses. So before you buy do your homework, check the prices of the lenses you would like to have and the availability.

If you mean BEST! cheap SLR then the answer has to be the Mamiya RB67 rollfilm camera. Image quality blows away all 35mm film technology and all run-of-the-mill digital stuff. Only the absolute top end digital equipment ($$$) may match it, maybe. KEH, just to name one seller, could get you a camera body+back+lens for about $250. Elsewhere may be cheaper.

I got an EOS 3000V for $50 NZD with a nice Tamron Lens. Its not and old classic, in fact it is virtually brand new. I also got a battery grip off ebay. I love this camera, it takes awesome shots and all my lenses I use on my EOS DSLR work on it. It had only shot 4 rolls since new before I got it so I can imagine it lasting me a long time.

You already have the OM10 so I recommend grabbing its forefather; the OM-1. These things can be had for the CHEAP (Hot shoe included for some Cactus/PW triggers) and are dead reliable.

I like them so much I bought two.

Or you could use the manual adaptor which was often sold with OM-10. The are usually pretty cheap second hand and allow you to use the OM-10 in manual mode.

I'm looking for an e-bay special with manual controls. I recently picked up an Olympus OM-10 for cheap, but it's mainly an auto camera with a flash option that gives it a static shutter speed of 1/60 and I'd like something I can manually control the shutter speed on. What suggestions do you guys have? Should I look at an Oly OM-1n? Should I go look at Contax, Pentax, or something else?

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money here and I'd like to find something with a lens system that has some decent primes I can find for a relatively low price.

Are you serious about photography, or are you just a ****er?

A LOT of us, back in the day, had to spend some semi-serious coin on our passions, just to get started, and even then, it was just a start.
Later on, we found out that we would have to upgrade to something better, in a short amount of time, just so we could keep up with our *passion*.

I wasn't "looking to spend a lot of money"
either, but by the time I had everything that I deemed suitable, to do the job that needed to be done, I was "in business" for the less than the kingly sum of $3,000, end total.

And THAT, my friend, was more than 20 years ago.......

Even NOW, you're not going to "get off for cheap" but there are also *better* ways of spending your money...all you need is just a little *more* $$$.....and a reduction in "professional pride" to get want you want.

I got something for Christmas that has "manual controls" that I wasn't even expecting, and the price was roughly *double* of what you're looking for now......I think...

If you ask me, I will tell you what to get, but you'll probably wind up *laughing* at me anyways....

..at which point.....the joke is on YOU and not *me*.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back