Best company to sell your old gear too?

ecphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have sold gear to Adorama, but I haven't tried KEH or B&H. Anyone know of one that is good for selling used gear? I just want a fair price.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Keh is good in my experience

Any one of the major stores you list will give you a good price; however remember that if you sell items to a shop you will always get less than the market value for that item. That's because the shop has to turn around and then sell that product for profit after they buy it off you. What you gain is an easy safe and fast transaction - what you lose is some of hte market value.

Ebay and local selling as well as forums can provide a way to direct sell your items and thus get its true market value.

I used to sell on ebay, but I think they take way too much of your profits now. I'm selling a 430EX ii, t2i kit with grip and a sigma 50-200mm os hsm.

You can direct sell through forums or things like Craigslist - course you don't have any protections there so you have to use a degree of common sense and caution. Also look for local camera clubs they often have sales where you can sell off your gear.

Check the costs of ebay though - they might take more profit but on a higher value item chances are the profit they take would be less than the difference that the retailer will pay for your item compared to its real world value

Ebay's fees may have gone up, I don't know (haven't listed anything there in over a year) but I can just about promise that they aren't going to take as much of your "profit" as KEH, B&H, or any other reseller. As Overread said, those places will give you below market value because they have to be able to make a profit.

So, for example, let's take your T2i kit. I did a quick search of the completed, sold listings and found two (without grips) that sold for $400 and $449. So let's split the difference and say you'd sell it for $425. I did a fee calculation on a $425 camera; I'd pay no listing fee and a $42.50 final value fee. So they take 10% of what I sell the camera for, basically.
Now, Paypal takes another 3% or so, I think, so add that in there too. You'd net about 87% of your final selling price.

I've not sold anything to resellers, because I *highly* doubt that there are ANY of them that will offer you as much as 87% of the market value of the camera. My guess is it's going to be closer to 75%, or more.

So, you could choose between a reseller and lose probably 25% or more of the potential value of the camera, or you can sell it on Ebay and lose about 13% of it.

EDIT: I'll add this: In my opinion, the main reason to sell gear to places like KEH and B&H is this: It's DONE. Once they say they'll take it, it's a done deal. There's no waiting to see if anyone sees the ad, bids on it, expresses interest. It matters not one whit to you whether anyone EVER buys that camera once the reseller buys it from you. For some people, that is absolutely WORTH the fact that they'll get less for it.

Or, you can try to sell it here or on your local Craigslist, where the absolute most you'd lose is the 3% paypal fee.

Last edited:
I went to B&H and Adorama with roughly $15k worth of gear and they came back to me with a quote for $4k. Needless to say I was flabbergasted and insulted so I plan to list everything on ebay. Even with the fee's I'd come out much further ahead than I would have going through a reseller.

P.s. if anyone wants a turn-key high end video set up let me know. ;)

no store will pay you what someone here or on ebay will pay; just saying.

Oh I know but we are talking $1,200 for a camera with 80 hrs on it. A camera that was $5k new. Not to mention it has about $2k worth of accessories.

I am not an idiot, I know about resale, but I am just surprised at how low their offer was.

Oh I know but we are talking $1,200 for a camera with 80 hrs on it. A camera that was $5k new. Not to mention it has about $2k worth of accessories.

I am not an idiot, I know about resale, but I am just surprised at how low their offer was.

Yeah, that definitely surprises me. I was guessing they'd give about 75%, or at least half, the resell value of the equipment.

Sometimes, when I'm already bored out of my mind, I watch that show, Pawn Stars. I am constantly amazed by how little people will take for their stuff from that place, when they could sell it themselves and come out a lot better off. I mean, they'll even have some "expert" come in and say it should retail for about $5000, and then they'll end up selling it to the pawn store for $1000. No way would I give up to $4000 of my proceeds to a reseller! But of course, many times, it's because they need the money RIGHT THEN, to pay bills. Or to satisfy their need to gamble.

I used to sell on ebay, but I think they take way too much of your profits now. I'm selling a 430EX ii, t2i kit with grip and a sigma 50-200mm os hsm.

Sent you a PM. Check your inbox.

Also don't forget you can buy-back from a pawn shop if you come up with money in good time. That's something you can't do if you sell something to an individual yourself.

Also don't forget you can buy-back from a pawn shop if you come up with money in good time. That's something you can't do if you sell something to an individual yourself.

ONLY if you pawn it instead of selling it outright to them, and at pretty high interest rates, if I understand correctly. But most of the people on the show sell their stuff outright rather than pawning it.

Most reactions

Back