Best digital camera for under $600?

sean46953

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, my name is Sean and I'm new to this forum and new to photography. I've always enjoyed photography, but only recently become more involved with it. So now I've set aside some money for a new camera. I've got upto $300 to spend for a new camera. I'm looking for something with great optical zoom and it must be digital and I would prefer it to have an internal battery. All suggestions based on experience will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Just about all the camera makers have a 12x digital camera manufactured by some company in China that sell for about $300 to $400. (Olympus goes to 18x, I think, giving you a little more on both ends of the zoom range.) Some of them have features that others don’t, like a hot shoe or stabilization.

Beware, though. What I understand is that it isn’t the lens on these cameras that zoom, but the sensor, making them prone to noise.

I have one of these, a Minolta Z6, and although I’m satisfied with the sharpness, it is prone to unacceptable noise.

Just about all the camera makers have a 12x digital camera manufactured by some company in China that sell for about $300 to $400. (Olympus goes to 18x, I think, giving you a little more on both ends of the zoom range.) Some of them have features that others don’t, like a hot shoe or stabilization.

Beware, though. What I understand is that it isn’t the lens on these cameras that zoom, but the sensor, making them prone to noise.

I have one of these, a Minolta Z6, and although I’m satisfied with the sharpness, it is prone to unacceptable noise.

I think the noise comes from optical zoom, they do have regular zoom like 12x on the S2 IS and S5 IS from Canon PowerShot series.

Digital P&S will publish both Optical and Digital zoom.

Optical zoom is a change in focal length by manipulating the glass elements. >>It does not introduce more noise<<

Digital zoom is basically a crop of the photo within the camera. As with cropping in photoshop, it is digital zoom that can introduce degradation in image quality.

It is in your best interest to ignore the digital zoom and focus on optical zoom. If your budget is $600, there are a few digital SLRs that should fit your needs now and can be later outfitted with a longer lens. I personally like what Pentax has to offer at this time. Canon Rebels are also very popular. If you like the compactness of a P&S but want the option and flexibility for SLR-like / advanced features, I like the Canon G9.

Perhaps more information on your expectations will help narrow the selection a bit more. Full reviews for many cameras are located at www.dpreview.com

You can find a nikon d70 with a couple lenses for less then $600. That would be my choice.

As far as new cameras go, the nikon d40 with the kit lens can be had for less then $600.

If I was spending $600 or less, I'd go for a Canon 20D, or if I could swing it, a 30D.

Most reactions

Back