Best Digital Compact?

deanimator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently lost my Sony V3 at a 3 day heavy metal concert somewhere in a massive nearly life-threatening crush to see Rage Against the Machine who were about to play...

Anyway, I need a replacement

I consider essential features to be
1) Compact dimensions (can fit in a largish pocket)
2) RAW and JPEG
3) Optical viewfinder

Most other features are just nice luxuries

The only camera I can find is the Canon G9....and it seems to be only a small improvement on my old Sony which despite being 5 years old now was as nearly as good as the Canon is. Have the manufacturers lost the plot? Why is no-one else producing anything as good in this size range?

Nice, but too big are Panasonic L1 and Leica Digilux 3, Sony Alpha etc

Any suggestions?

#2 will make the list to choose from fairly short. IMO, the best P&S camera out there is the Canon G9. However, it is larger than the typical P&S... still pocket size. I've heard a few good words about the Ricoh GX100 as well.

Clearly I didn't literally mean that a P&S isn't a real camera. But if you're going to spend 300 dollars on a "super" P&S, why not just bump up the price a bit and get a DSLR? I see that he says he needs compactness but really. Either get a P&S or a DSLR. This "bridge camera" phenomenon is nonsense, IMO.

Clearly I didn't literally mean that a P&S isn't a real camera. But if you're going to spend 300 dollars on a "super" P&S, why not just bump up the price a bit and get a DSLR? I see that he says he needs compactness but really. Either get a P&S or a DSLR. This "bridge camera" phenomenon is nonsense, IMO.

im sure dean has a dSLR if im right

but he wants another p&s because its compact so he can take it to places like concerts without the hassle

There are obvious advantages to a P&S as well. Some professional journalists (as well as people of other professions and enthusiasts) have leveraged their advantages. A good investment in a high end P&S is a viable path for many. Not accepting that fact is just being closed minded.

For one, a professional accustomed to a Canon DSLR will find their workflow easily adaptable to the G9. Other situations place a high importance in compactness and being discreet. A large DSLR often taints the environment making it difficult to capture the moment that defines your subject. In a courtroom, many DSLRs with mirror slap and loud shutters are not allowed. A G9 or other P&S are nearly silent. Shall I go on?

There are obvious advantages to a P&S as well. Some professional journalists (as well as people of other professions and enthusiasts) have leveraged their advantages. A good investment in a high end P&S is a viable path for many. Not accepting that fact is just being closed minded.

For one, a professional accustomed to a Canon DSLR will find their workflow easily adaptable to the G9. Other situations place a high importance in compactness and being discreet. A large DSLR often taints the environment making it difficult to capture the moment that defines your subject. In a courtroom, many DSLRs with mirror slap and loud shutters are not allowed. A G9 or other P&S are nearly silent. Shall I go on?

I think you're right about the need for a quality point and shoot. I've been tempted to get a G9 myself, nice and discreet.

Not being condescending at all... just being straightforward.. Too many people have set preconceived notions on what it takes to be a photographer (and the equipment they "should" have) rather than accepting that there are all types of photographers (professional and amateur) with different needs.

Pushing a recommendation of a DSLR is simply ignoring the OP's #1 criteria.. compact dimensions.

I was hoping for some advice from experienced photographers who are in the loop and can suggest good alternatives to my now lost Sony V3. It was a highly spec´d compact, and there is surprisingly almost nothing out there now that can match it...apart from the G9...

Perhaps my question was not clear enough. What I´m after is a compact camera, meaning easily portable, discreet etc, with the capability to produce high quality images...and the price was not the issue. Something like some of us used in the "old film days"...and I don´t expect anyone would suggest an M6 produced poorer quality than an F4.
The logical extension of what I read above here is I should be buying an H3...but obviously that is not what I was referring to...

So the question remains open.

I did suggest the GX100.... and further recommend the G9. Have you looked at either closely? The other close competitor that comes to mind is the Nikon P5100 but it doesn't do RAW. As I said, #2 requirement is going to make it a short list.

You can always go towards the Leica M8. Assuming you have no Leica glass M-mounts, you'll probably need at least $10k. You did mention the M6 and state that price is not an issue.

[EDIT]
nevermind the M8... forgot you mentioned that it should fit in a pocket

The GX100 doesn´t have an optical viewfinder (apart from the clip-on which makes it a bit unwieldy)...otherwise seems pretty decent.

The M8 and Digilux-3 are far too big.

So the G9 is maybe the only real choice, or I simply have to search ebay to pick up another old V3, and wait for the manufacturers to wake up...

I should mention some interesting info that a pro-buddy mentioned today...

It seems that Canon has a compact, a bit smaller that the G9 but includes a rotatable monitor...otherwise has an optical viewfinder, which can be hacked...

...but get this, it can be hacked to do EVERYTHING the G9 does!!! That means, if he is correct, smaller, cheaper, and ultimately with more features!!! He uses his almost daily...even in the studio!!!

I´ll certainly be looking into this option...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back