Best dslr around $1000?

Get the D7000 because; its what I would do. Why? It has the best ISO performance of any consumer camera, many pros are buying them as a backup body. Its 16 mp which is great larger than most of the cameras suggested above. Its got full HD video and with auto-focus (Yes AF!!) Its Nikon so it has great build quality!

Although its a bit more money you can't go wrong with the D7000

Either that or get a second hand 40D the LCD is a bit crappy but the image quality is great!

Actually the Pentax K5 has the best ISO performance in a consumer camera, It has AF in video mode but as shown on youtube can not keep up, pretty worthless. The Sony A55 blows it away in AF video performance. There is no perfect camera every camera has its strong points and weak.

I think the canon 550d is the most camera you can get for your money, but i have not used it as a nikon user, and yes you get alot less for your money with nikon.

I've gotta ask, how can you honestly believe that? The only thing you lose with most nikons compared to canon is full manual, 1080p video.

If your talking the megapixel differences, that is negated by the fact that Nikon's camera's are generally better at high iso, which is partially because of the lower MP count.

Nikon's metering system is way more advanced and accurate than canon's too.

Plus, in the sub $1000 range, Nikon's bodies are made better. Nobody builds a quality plastic camera body like Nikon. Something about Canon's rebel line just feels cheap compared to Nikon's bodies.

Actually the Pentax K5 has the best ISO performance in a consumer camera, It has AF in video mode but as shown on youtube can not keep up, pretty worthless. The Sony A55 blows it away in AF video performance. There is no perfect camera every camera has its strong points and weak.

Don't forget that Nikon / Canon have been around decades longer than Sony / Pentax. There are loads of second hand lenses available for Nikon / Canon and less for Pentax and Sony. I'd also argue that Nikon / Canon quality glass is higher than P / S glass.

Plus and minus points for both sides. But if your gonna buy a camera stick with a Nikon or Canon.

Don't forget that Nikon / Canon have been around decades longer than Sony / Pentax. There are loads of second hand lenses available for Nikon / Canon and less for Pentax and Sony. I'd also argue that Nikon / Canon quality glass is higher than P / S glass.

Plus and minus points for both sides. But if your gonna buy a camera stick with a Nikon or Canon.

Wrong again. Sony has over 120 lenses being made for their DSLR's and dont forget that the Nikkor lenses for the Minoltas also fit.

Pentax all but the original SLRs like Sony have the same mount now that they did 20 years ago.

Sony Carl Zeiss lenses worse quality than Nikon or Canon? I dont think so.

Oh and dont forget that most of those Nikon and many Canons are powered by Sony Sensors. Basically of you are shooting nikon you are shooting Sony internals

Frankly there is very little difference between all the cameras in the low end market. the Best performance and Sensor for under 1000.00 according to DXO is the Sony A55 the 580 was not tested as it is too new. Next is Nikon the first Canon in lower end is way down the list

Here are some samples of Nikon Video:

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back