Best DSLR for SLR newbie

I've had a D40x for a couple of months now with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. I haven't even used the 55-200 since I want to work on picture quality and composition without throwing another lens into the mix right now. Might be flawed logic but I'm a newbie that NEVER put any thought into taking a proper photograph with my A75, only snapshots, and not very good ones.

As long as you don't let the fact that some lenses lack autofocus on the D40 get you down it won't be a problem. It is kind of disheartening to read where this or that fantastic lens won't autofocus though.

I've decided that either (hopefully) more lenses will come about in the future for my camera when I'm ready to move along with lenses, or I'll get another camera if the situation remains the same.

I just bought a D40. It came down to a choice between the D40 and the Cannon XTI. The specs seem very close (to a beginner like me, at least). I ended up choosing the D40 simply for the bigger LCD, it felt more solid to me, and I found many good reviews for the D40 on the net.

I bought my D40 at a camera store (Black's Photography, here in Canada). I asked about the D40x, and they told me it is discontinued, but not the D40. But I always takes sale people's comments with a big grain of salt.

Except for Pentax, all DSLR's can make pretty goods images without too much post processing.

So you're saying that Pentax has subpar image quality compared to other brands? Which model? Can you link to some reviews that say that?

stick with Canons or Nikons, if you choose Nikon the D70 would be a good option, if you can find a D50 that would be a decent option as well. Both these cameras will grow with you whereas the D40 will limit you as you get more interested in photography and better lenses. I started with a D50 three years ago and loved it. I moved up to a D200 when I felt I could honestly use and appreciate some of the features the D200 has over the D50.

lets not discourage anyone from buying other brands though. Canon and Nikon are of course the most popular, but they can also act as blinders to anything ELSE that might be out there.

I think I will pick up a D70 body on ebay and buy an almost new nikon 18-55 lens for cheap from a friend. I think that will be a decent starting setup. Any other suggestions before I buy these?

I think I will pick up a D70 body on ebay and buy an almost new nikon 18-55 lens for cheap from a friend. I think that will be a decent starting setup. Any other suggestions before I buy these?

Spend the extra $100 and get a used 18-70, the build quality is siginificantly better than the 18-55, the image quality is a bit better and the little extra reach in zoom will give your more composition options. I never use my 18-55 anymore because I have a super-wide and a 50mm prime, but if I had the 18-70 I'd probably still use it pretty often.

If I am going to be spending $200 on a lens, I might want to spend a bit more and get one that has more zoom.

How would a sigma 18-200 be?

If I am going to be spending $200 on a lens, I might want to spend a bit more and get one that has more zoom.

How would a sigma 18-200 be?

It's a really new lens from what I know, and I haven't read any reviews. Super zooms tend to have inherent flaws. The more I read about the nikon 18-200 VR, the more I think it might actually be a decent lens. But, a third party lens like a Sigma trying to recreate something like that is bound to have some issues. You might want to look into the Nikkor 18-135, good range, good price and decent image quality.

Inherent flaws as in?

Would getting two lenses make sense? Say a 55-200 and a 18-55/18-70

?

Hey guys, I need to make a decision soon, so should I go with two Nikon lenses (18-70/18-55 and a 55-200) or that Sigma?

The 18-70 is decent a great lens to start with, the 55-200 is nothing to write home about at all. I have never used the 18-200 but a ten times zoom is bound to have issues. Honestly though you will not notice the issues if you are just getting into photography. As soon as you use your first decent lens though you will look at your old lenses with disdain and thats when photography gets really expensive, no longer will you be able to find an "acceptable" lens without droping $1000.

Most reactions

Back