Best lens for landscape photography?

MasonBW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm here to ask what do you guys think about the best lens for landscape photography is? I'm fairly new to photography and I'm shooting with a Nikon D3000. I'm not looking to spend tons of money but the three lens I'm looking at and would love your opinion on, are the Nikkor 18-35mm, Tokina 12-24mm, or maybe the sigma 10-20. The Nikkor is a bit more but I'm willing to spend that if its worth it. Which has the best and sharpest wide angle? Thanks again and I'd love to hear everyones thoughts!

-Mason

i don't own any of them but after a lot of reviews, the sigma 10-20mm is on my wishlist. the 18-35 is already within the focal length of the kit lens and I personally would like something wider than the 18mm.

I would say Sigma 10-20, Tokina 12-24, or Nikon 12-24. 18mm won't be wide enough.

18mm won't be wide enough.

I agree. On a DX sensor, 18mm may leave you wanting for a little more "wide".

I would say Sigma 10-20, Tokina 12-24, or Nikon 12-24.

I have the Sigma 10-20mm, and I'm not dissapointed with it. It's not the greatest out there, but the results are very respectable for the money.

I had the Tokina 12-24, and as far as I remember I took that over the Sigma due to their quality. I was told it was as close as I could get the orginal 12-24 Nikon. Although I remember one key argument against was that the Tokina had a flaring and cromatic abb. problem. But for the price, and compared to what others told me about Sigma, I would think either Nikon or Tokina is the best choice.

thanks for all the feedback! I just read now though that the Nikon D3000 does not have an internal motor so I don't think any of the lens would work with AF...? does anyone know if they would, I know the tokina won't..

Just a thought, but an 18-55 kit lens is a wide-angle lens capable of landscape photography. Going wider than that is looking for an ultra wide lens.
Technique-wise, you could also consider panorama stitching to cover a wider field of view.

Best overall lens for landscapes is an 18mm to 75mm. The problem with very wide lenses is that you need to be very close as in hanging off the edge of a canyon or building etc. to use them effectively and even then avoiding perspective distortion and leaning verticals becomes a problem.

Telephotos are also useful, when you have a moose or a dhou in the right area of a landscape compositionally but off in the distance.

skieur

alright! but I still want to know if my Nikon D3000 will work with say a sigma 10-20 or Nikkor 18-35mm lens in AF mode...

I have the Sigma 10-20 and love it. On the other hand, I do a great deal of my landscape work with my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.

Best overall lens for landscapes is an 18mm to 75mm. The problem with very wide lenses is that you need to be very close as in hanging off the edge of a canyon or building etc. to use them effectively and even then avoiding perspective distortion and leaning verticals becomes a problem.

skieur

There are times when these factors can add to an image. But you are correct that working with the lens and the landscape it will work better without those distortions. Practice with these wide lens and you will have a lot of fun.

Don't forget sigma's new 8-16mm landscape lens - from what I've read whilst also being more expensive its a very strong and sharp lens

Tamron 17-50 easy in my opinion. If you go ultra wide nothing beats Tokinas 11-16/2.8 if its a bit much then go there 12-24/4 not as wide but about 250 cheaper there both outstanding lenses and far better than anything I have seen from the others including Canon and Nikon.

Tamron 17-50 easy in my opinion. If you go ultra wide nothing beats Tokinas 11-16/2.8 if its a bit much then go there 12-24/4 not as wide but about 250 cheaper there both outstanding lenses and far better than anything I have seen from the others including Canon and Nikon.

Tokina 12-24 AF mode will not work on my Nikon D3000, will the sigma AF work on my Nikon D3000?!

Most reactions

Back