Best Lens for...

mortovismo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...landscape photography?

Currently use my XTi's 18-55 kit lens. But wondered if any of you more experienced snappers used something else? And if so what?

Thanks in advance

Looked for a thread on this and couldn't find one. o if there is one one somewhere apologies for dragging up this question again.

You could shoot landscapes with just about any lens...there is no best.

My favorite is the Canon EF-S 10-22mm.

...landscape photography?

Currently use my XTi's 18-55 kit lens. But wondered if any of you more experienced snappers used something else? And if so what?

Thanks in advance

Looked for a thread on this and couldn't find one. o if there is one one somewhere apologies for dragging up this question again.

Pretty much any wide angle lens...

EF 17-40 F/4L USM would be ideal although your kit lens is great for landscape photography specially for the price. The big question is what is it you feel its missing from your shots?

How about a DO lens? Green ring.

Pretty much any wide angle lens...
I sometimes shoot landscapes with my 70-200mm (on a crop sensor)....that's certainly the opposite of wide angle.

The big question is what is it you feel its missing from your shots?

It was something I read in an article a while back in which the author mentioned a specific lens for landscape photography and it was different to what I'm using. Just thought I'd ask on here to see what would be suggested....and I think the lens suggested is exactly the one you suggested.

What do you like about the EF17-40?

Thanks for the responses everyone BTW.

The 17-40mm is an 'L' lens...and as such, it's a 'top of the line' lens. It can give you better image quality than something like your cheap 18-55mm lens.

You have to be careful though. Most photographers who talk about the 17-40mm being a great landscape lens, are either using 35mm film cameras or full frame digital SLR cameras (5D, 1Ds etc). On your camera, the 17-40mm won't give you the ultra wide view that it gives those other cameras.

That's why I mentioned the 10-22mm. It gives close to the same field of view (on your camera) that the 17-40mm gives on those cameras.

Thanks Mike.

Looked at the prices...threw up a little.

I'm looking forward to learning alot more on this website.

Ya...this isn't a cheap hobby. :er:

The 17-40mm is actually a good deal...it's one of the cheapest 'L' lenses you can get.

A cheaper alternative to the 10-22mm is the Sigma 10-20mm.

I got that ;)

Opinions on used lenses? Yay or nay?

10-22mm on Fleabay at 2's

The big question is what is it you feel its missing from your shots?

It was something I read in an article a while back in which the author mentioned a specific lens for landscape photography and it was different to what I'm using. Just thought I'd ask on here to see what would be suggested....and I think the lens suggested is exactly the one you suggested.

What do you like about the EF17-40?

Thanks for the responses everyone BTW.

Well, I am a Nikon user so I can't say I've have a ton of practice with that lens but from what I've read, wide lenses(which you have) work best and a faster lens will always be a plus. Obviously a faster lens, like the 17-40, will give you more options in terms of speed and low light conditions not to mention the glass is a L which is far better than the kit lens (not bashing the kit lens though).

My suggestion is to buy a tripod and a shutter release remote control (wired or wireless) before purchasing a new lens until you really feel the need for a new lens.

This will allow you to shoot in low light like dusk or dawn which will give you some pretty dramatic landscapes. Best landscape pictures are taken at dusk when the color spectrum is at its max.

But back on topic, as others have mentioned there is no perfect or best lens for landscapes, all lens work well if used correctly.

Hope this helps

Thanks Ginu and KmH.

Yeah, Ginu I need to be more diligent with regards to tripod and shutter release. I'm always in a hurry and freaking out that I'll "lose that moment" so I tend not to take the time in setting up the tripod and release. So in that respect maybe a faster lens would be beneficial.

Most reactions

Back