Need some advice for a Dropped DSLR Lens (Lens Cap Stuck)

Preserved Steam UK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all!

I was out taking photos and dropped a lens (never felt my heart stop like that) and the top lens cap is not coming off... in fact it's jammed inside the lens itself.
I heard something break and can hear something moving around inside the lens. The lens mount rail is slightly damaged in one place but I personally think it could be saved, focus wheel still turns and I can still hear and the bottom glass isn't smashed but I just want to take this cap off the top because all the camera shops I've taken it to say they can't do anything unless it's off the lens itself.

The lens BTW is a Sigma 18-55mm F2.8 EX DC Macro (Canon EF mount)

I'd post a picture but I don't have it on the college PC I'm using as of current.

if anybody can help me that'd be brilliant

Will need to be sent out to be repaired.
Kinda like saying the sky is blue mate...

What I'm asking is, How do I remove this Lens Cap? I've taken it to Camera shops and they say they can't send it off for repairs unless it comes off but are unwilling to do anything to take the bloody thing off...

I'm not gonna pay £40 so I can get someone to look at it to see if can get repaired (That's London Camera Exchange for you...) because after the responses I got from the camera shops I don't want to be forced to buy something else that as a student I can't afford.

Soo... How do I remove it?

Attachments

• Buggered Lensjpg.jpg
    Buggered Lensjpg.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 5
Try removing the filter. You might have to use arc-joint pliers. The only other thing I can think of is using a Dremel or similar rotary tool and a cutting bit to slowly grind away the edges of the cap.

Hey all!

I was out taking photos and dropped a lens (never felt my heart stop like that) and the top lens cap is not coming off... in fact it's jammed inside the lens itself.
I heard something break and can hear something moving around inside the lens. The lens mount rail is slightly damaged in one place but I personally think it could be saved, focus wheel still turns and I can still hear and the bottom glass isn't smashed but I just want to take this cap off the top because all the camera shops I've taken it to say they can't do anything unless it's off the lens itself.

The lens BTW is a Sigma 18-55mm F2.8 EX DC Macro (Canon EF mount)

I'd post a picture but I don't have it on the college PC I'm using as of current.

if anybody can help me that'd be brilliant

Kinda like saying the sky is blue mate...

What I'm asking is, How do I remove this Lens Cap? I've taken it to Camera shops and they say they can't send it off for repairs unless it comes off but are unwilling to do anything to take the bloody thing off...

I'm not gonna pay £40 so I can get someone to look at it to see if can get repaired (That's London Camera Exchange for you...) because after the responses I got from the camera shops I don't want to be forced to buy something else that as a student I can't afford.

Soo... How do I remove it?
As Rickbb says, it needs to be seen by a repair technician, NOT a camera salesman. Anything anyone else tries to remove the cap could muck it up worse. Good luck, and do let us know the final outcome.

There's an off chance it can be twisted off the UV filter. Get the filter+cap off the lens rather than risk (further?)damage to the lens. The filter glass may be broken, too. At any rate, you may have to replace both. Fingers crossed that's all.

Try using a filter wrench (NOT arc-joint pliers) on the filter.

Had to look the lens up Sigma 18-55 F2.8 can be had used for around $100. Bet you can't get that one fixed for that price if needed. I'd find a way to get it off even if it trashed the lens. Just to inexpensive to replace it. Dremel tool sounded like a great idea to me. Cut the cap no all the way through in the center and try to break it out. If ya mess it up your out $100 for a new used lens.

"The moving finger writes, and havening writ, moves on."

But in case they do come back,

I'd be more worried about the rattle from the inside than a stuck lens cap. Caps are usually plastic and can easily be cut/pried off. But an element inside broken means a trip to the shop. Which is what was recommended.

UPDATE:
My stupid ass didn't realise that I had a UV filter on the lens, thank god my dad put one on it when I first got it or I truly would've been buggered!

Only issue now is the rail on the lens mount... Is this something that could be replaced/bent back into place?

I've contacted Sigma because I can't find if they still support or have discontinued this lens but either way... I'm really tempted to bend it back into place...

Attachments

• Lens not buggered.jpg
    Lens not buggered.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • Buggered filter.jpg
    Buggered filter.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Buggered Rail.png
    Buggered Rail.png
    441.5 KB · Views: 5
If you do try to bend it back, first remove the mounting plate off the body of the lens ... so as not to damage any other part of the plastic body.

I know you don't want to hear it, but a good shop may even have a spare mount laying around.

And do you still have that rattle with the broken filter removed?

Also second removing the plate from the lens first before attempting to bend it.

I know you don't want to hear it, but a good shop may even have a spare mount laying around.

And do you still have that rattle with the broken filter removed?

Also second removing the plate from the lens first before attempting to bend it.
The rattle was the glass from the filter, I might ask Wex if they have one but I doubt it because it's an old lens... I've messaged Sigma and I'm still awaiting a response.

Was going to remove the plate before attempting to bend it, Do lens plates tend to be universal? because if so then I'll look into it

I would think any Cannon EF mounting ring should fit, but finding a place to buy one might be difficult. Not many DIY lens parts sources that I know of, kind of a specialized thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back