PhilGarber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
philipofnj.redbubble.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I've realized that I am really into Macro photography... I've been looking at prices and found that even a beginner lens is like $299.00 USD. What is a good affordable lens? ($100.00 USD or less?)

For a example of the quality I'm looking for I want to be able to see the texture of a basketball at about an inch.

Thanks!

Phil,

PS-If you use a different currency then the US Dollar please include the US equivalent, thanks!

Well, I'm not sure what you currently have, but you're probably going to have a difficult time finding macro lenses for under 100 dollars. The way I see it you have a few options

1. you might be able to find an older macro lens (not sure) that would work, perhaps one that would only manual focus.

2. You could get extension tubes (I know Kenko, and of course nikon and canon have them) they will increase the focal length allowing you to focus from a closer distance. (I think I said that right)

3. you could get step up filters which will do much the same thing as number two. (again, there are more technical differences there, I just don't know them)

#2 you could find for $75 or less (though you may lose your autofocus ability with that) or for 150ish if you kept your autofocus. However, it's probably your best bet if you want to stay in that price range.

Yes... it would be nice to know what camera you own...

My budget macro setup:
* Used Samsung GX-1L $150 (K-mount DSLR)
* Used Tamron 90mm f/2.5 Macro Adaptall lens $100
* Used Tamron 2x Adaptall teleconverter (gets you 1:1 mag) $60 (KEH)
* New-Old-Stock Vivitar 6000AF ring light $100
* Used K-mount Adaptall Adapter $30

318136757.jpg

320221056.jpg

320221063.jpg

318822713.jpg

BTW.... some sort of lighting (ring light) is practically a must in Macro photography. You should include one with your budget. It could be ring light, flash on an off-shoe cord, macro dual head light.... something.

Another setup (relatively inexpensive) to consider...
M42 screwmount adapter for whatever camera you are using
M42 screwmount bellows unit
Takumar 50mm f2 lens

This setup will require a bit more adjustment so tripod is necessary.

A few thoughts - the 'Don't skimp on the glass' rules applies doubly in macro work. Don't buy a cheap lens; if you can't afford a decent one (and remember, there's no shame in buying used gear; it already has that patina on it) wait until you can. Tubes or close-up lenses are a good hold-over and work well.

At that kind of price you may want to look into reverse lens macro photography, or using close up filters or bellows.

A reasonable best bang for buck actual macro lens would be the Nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8 D Given that the AF-S version was released last year this should be available for ~$500 second hand.

Id also look into the Sigma 105 2.8 macro, ive been using it for a while now, very sharp, very crisp, in both macro work and portraits

Just a note

Auto focus is hardly used compared to manual focus with macro - so having no AF is not a problem
If you are going for extension tubes, as they are just a gap for air might as well go for a 3rd party - canon and nikon are rather expensive

Lighting is where it all starts, Phil: the word 'photo' means 'light' in Latin.

Greek. In Latin it would be something along the lines of 'lux', as in 'E tenebris lux' (from the darkness, light) or the slightly different 'lumen' (more like 'lamp').

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back