Best Main Zoom Lenses: Tamron 28-75 F2.8 and Sony 24-105 F4

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here I go "parking" information again. In this case, I might want this information in a year or two when these lenses might start to show up in the "used" market at a price that I might be able to pay.

"Main Lenses"

What I mean by "main lenses" are lenses that many photographers might consider buying to do the largest percentage of their photography. In some cases, these are lenses that a photography might put on their body at the beginning of a week and might rarely change to another lens all the way through to the end of a week. It will depend on subject matter, but yes, they could be that comprehensive.

Recently two zoom lenses have been establishing themselves as particularly good performers overall and also for their price points. In this video Max Yuryev discusses both of them mainly in generalities. He has specific reviews that show performance for each, and other reviewers have covered (or will cover) them as well. This video is a good starting point for researching.

The lenses are the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 and Sony 24-105 F4. If you are a professional, then there is a 3rd lens that needs to be considered and that is Sony 24-70mm F2.8 GM. There are articles and videos that cover that lens as well, but I cannot see it coming down into a price range that I can afford -- ever, so I will let "you" look that one up. :)

"Tamron 28-75 F2.8 vs Sony 24-105 F4 LENS WARS!"
posted to Youtube by "Max Yuryev" on June 22, 2018,
""

There is an argument for having BOTH lenses.
24-70/28-75 AND 24-105

The reason is at the switch/overlap zone of the matching lens to the 24-70/25-75, which is the 70-200 f/2.8.
If you are shooting in the 50-90mm range, it is MUCH easier to use the 24-105 and not switch lenses, rather than be switching between the 24-70/28-75 and the 70-200.
But the f/4, 24-105 is a stop slower than the f/2.8, 24-70/28-75. And that 1 stop can be significant, if you shoot in low light. And generally the shorter zoom range of the 24-70 would have better IQ than the longer zoom range 24-105.

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8: the _original_ non-VC model was a legendary perfomer...the later, VC-model was the lens that Roger Cicala of Lensrentals,.com listed as one of his single biggest regrets ever; as he wrote, he got rid of the company's entire stock of first-generation, non-VC 28-75's and replaced them with the un-tested 28-75 VC model...which was a poor lens...so poor that it made his greatest regrets ever list...

Just wanted to point that out.

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8: the _original_ non-VC model was a legendary perfomer...
. . .
replaced them with the un-tested 28-75 VC model...which was a poor lens...so poor that it made his greatest regrets ever list...

Just wanted to point that out.

Ahah! That's exactly the type of info I will need a couple of years from now -- which is why I "parked" the info "here" where we can accumulate it. :)

That sent me off doing some research. Apparently the VC version is now in its 3rd iteration, so optically, it might be back to higher performance levels. However, a new problem has arisen for the 3rd version. It looks firmware correctable in the long run, but Tamron is just looking into it:

"Notice about 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036) Operation
by Tamron Canada · Published June 1, 2018 · Updated June 1, 2018

Dear Tamron product users and potential purchasers.

Thank you for your interest in Tamron products.

We would like to announce that we discovered some issues with the auto focus of our new lens, 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036) for Sony E-mount, 35mm full-frame mirrorless cameras, released on May 24, 2018. The issues occur primarily when using the camera in video recording mode.

Rest assured, we are evaluating the cause of the error and for the solution to this matter. We expect this issue to be resolved very shortly and we will release a firmware update at that time.

Regarding the firmware updating process, please be assured that the process is accomplished directly through the Sony camera and supported by the Sony firmware updating function. As soon as the process is finalized, we will explain the process in detail on our website.

We sincerely apologize to all users and potential purchasers for any inconvenience this issue may cause."

Incidentally, the "VC" vibration control was not usable on Sony bodies with IBIS. I think the lens firmware locked it out. The latest version (Model A036) does not mention VC in the description. It makes me wonder what happens if these lenses are used on older non-IBIS bodies?

Last edited:
This is the worry with 3rd party manufacturers.
How well will the 3rd party lens works with the camera? In today's electronic era, it is MUCH more difficult than in the old mechanical days.
Not to say that Sony may not run into that themselves in a new camera to an older lens.
At least IF it is fixable in firmware, there is a chance.

And a little more research turns up "Tamron releases updated firmware for 28-75mm F2.8 for Sony E-Mount" July 10, 2018 in DPreview.com by Carey Rose, which says:

"Affected model
28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036)

Firmware version
Ver.2

Improvements
This update improves known issues for autofocus with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, when the range of focus search distance is broad, in video recording mode."

So it looks like Tamron thinks they have solved it already. We'll just have to wait for some independent reviews to confirm it.

@ac12: By the way, I agree about overlapping zoom ranges. Especially because the wide end of zooms tend to have weak corners, so you can have the "bonus" of a better optic by using the shorter zoom at the long end. At least that's what I've noticed so far. I have not found the telephoto ends falling off as badly.

VTN

I had not thought of the overlap concept until this past year.
I shoot high school football and soccer, on the sidelines, with an 18-140 on my DX camera. The ability to zoom from 35mm to about 110mm, runs back and forth over that 2-lens transition point of 70mm (24-70 + 70-200).
- The 70-200 is too long on the short end to shoot the players as they got close to the sidelines. A major problem with that lens on a DX camera.
- The 24-70 (or similar lens) is too short on the long end to reach to mid-field.
- The 24-120 f/4 FX lens is almost perfect on a DX body. It would be perfect if it were a f/2.8 lens, and the optics just a bit better for DX ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back