Best mode for portraits

Using Av mode and setting the f-stop on wide open is not a good idea. This will leave you with too shallow of a depth of field that could leave on part of the face focused and the rest not.

I would recommend Manual mode all the time, no matter what you r shooting.
It might be a little problematic at the beginning but once u learn it u will have control on everything.
If you have any questions feel free to ask

I shoot M 99% of the time both in/outdoors.
When you say best you have to mention your lighting conditions.

Camera in the Portrait orientation (a battery handgrip will help alot). Use Manual always. Also Manual mode helps beginners figure out what they need to do to get the shot they want.

It might be a little problematic at the beginning but once u learn it u will have control on everything.

When shooting sport, you won't have time to use the M mode.

We're talking about manual setting mode on the camera not manual focus.

So the batter is about to hit the ball and you are going to have the time to change the aperture and the shutter speed? how is that going to help you??

So the batter is about to hit the ball and you are going to have the time to change the aperture and the shutter speed? how is that going to help you??

Well you first get there early. Then you determine the lighting and while in manual mode you set the shutter speed and aperture according to your analysis of the available lighting. Then you use that setting for the entire shoot. Note that you'll be in manual mode the entire time.

Well you first get there early. Then you determine the lighting and while in manual mode you set the shutter speed and aperture according to your analysis of the available lighting. Then you use that setting for the entire shoot. Note that you'll be in manual mode the entire time.

You just have to have a pretty fast shutter speed with a nice exposure...and you are ready to go.
Because the light doesn't change when they hit the ball, so as long as your speed is pretty fast and still get a a nice exposure while avoiding any blur....you could do the whole game with the same settings.

You just have to have a pretty fast shutter speed with a nice exposure...and you are ready to go.
Because the light doesn't change when they hit the ball, so as long as your speed is pretty fast and still get a a nice exposure while avoiding any blur....you could do the whole game with the same settings.

Depend on the time of the game. If the game takes place around dusk when the sun set really fast and the lights come on, you simply won't have the time.

Depend on the time of the game. If the game takes place around dusk when the sun set really fast and the lights come on, you simply won't have the time.

Uh, yeah you will.

The sun doesn't set in the blink of an eye. If your shots start to get a little underexposed, up your ISO, open your aperture, lower your shutter speed, etc. Whatever you feel is best for the situation, and will render the best images. It's not even difficult to shoot sports using manual. It's more difficult handling your camera and focusing properly than paying attention to what your settings are at.

Uh, yeah you will.

The sun doesn't set in the blink of an eye. If your shots start to get a little underexposed, up your ISO, open your aperture, lower your shutter speed, etc. Whatever you feel is best for the situation, and will render the best images. It's not even difficult to shoot sports using manual. It's more difficult handling your camera and focusing properly than paying attention to what your settings are at.

I agree with you... also I think we went a little off topic...which it was best settings for portraits lol.

Aperture for DOF control like stated many a times here. Unless you want to jump on the "I always shoot manual because I'm awesome" bandwagon.

Aperture for DOF control like stated many a times here. Unless you want to jump on the "I always shoot manual because I'm awesome" bandwagon.

I don't think is about being awesome, I think that is just easier for me in manual, all you really have to do is moving the little wheel left or right to before you shoot to get the right exposure.
And i really have nothing against who even shoots in full auto. If they get a great result I more happy for them.
Photography is just all about what is easier and best for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back