Best monitor for editing

Rosy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
also - might...just might hop to a MAC pro laptop, can I connect a good monitor to it in order to get proper calibration

The retina MBPs have two displays connections (mini DisplayPort and HDMI). So yes you can.

We use the NEC at work.

NEC PA242W-BK-SV 24 Professional Wide Gamut PA242W-BK-SV

I think we need a little bit more specifics on your budget. The one that was posted is AWESOME with a nice price tag. If price isn't an issue than I think that looks like a great one. It has a higher resolution and brighter than the one that I use, but for what it's worth, here is the one I use and it does great for me!

Asus 27 IPS LED HD Monitor Silver MX279H - Best Buy

Yes, you would need to use an external display (that stays put) with a laptop in order to minimize how often you would need to re-calibrate.

Adobe Photoshop/LR minimum computer display requirements include 16-bit color depth.
Other system requirements are a minimum of 512 MB (1GB recommended) of VRAM, and OpenGL 2.0 capability.

The NEC display linked to is short by 6 bits, having only a 10-bit color gamut.
The Azsus display linked to does not show what color bit depth the display is capable of.

Image editing pros rely on desktop computers.

Yes, you would need to use an external display (that stays put) with a laptop in order to minimize how often you would need to re-calibrate.

Adobe Photoshop/LR minimum computer display requirements include 16-bit color depth.
Other system requirements are a minimum of 512 MB (1GB recommended) of VRAM, and OpenGL 2.0 capability.

The NEC display linked to is short by 6 bits, having only a 10-bit color gamut.
The Azsus display linked to does not show what color bit depth the display is capable of.

Image editing pros rely on desktop computers.
That is a good point and for the price of the first monitor shared you could get a nice iMac to be your stationary computer and have the laptop be your portable.

I'm not a pro by any means but I get along fine with what I have :)

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Keith - what do you use - if PC is the way to go, what do you suggest? I have an HP which is working great. Im just curious

Keith - what do you use - if PC is the way to go, what do you suggest? I have an HP which is working great. Im just curious

Brand of PC wouldn't matter much, depends more on the components. If you go the PC route, you can consider choosing the components that you like and assembling it.

This is the route I went last month and I built a pretty solid PC system for about $900. It has plenty of RAM (16 GB), a good video card (4GB VRAM), a solid state drive for programs (250GB), and a regular hard drive for storage (1TB). I will add hard drives as needed, probably in the form of a NAS for long term storage. You can go the AMD route for a lower cost build than using Intel. Some of these specs may be overkill for photo editing, but it gives me a long term option and the ability to game if desired - with that said, you could build a good system for editing for cheaper.

Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9yBrgs

Brand of PC wouldn't matter much, depends more on the components. If you go the PC route, you can consider choosing the components that you like and assembling it.

This is the route I went last month and I built a pretty solid PC system for about $900. It has plenty of RAM (16 GB), a good video card (4GB VRAM), a solid state drive for programs (250GB), and a regular hard drive for storage (1TB). I will add hard drives as needed, probably in the form of a NAS for long term storage. You can go the AMD route for a lower cost build than using Intel. Some of these specs may be overkill for photo editing, but it gives me a long term option and the ability to game if desired - with that said, you could build a good system for editing for cheaper.

Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9yBrgs

I just installed 8 more gigs of ram in my PC today. It made a big difference in Lightroom. Still working on the video card though, got a friend of mine that's going to give me his Nvidia GTX 670, should be better than using internal graphics.

When I was still doing critical image editing I last used a 24" Wacom Cintiq.

also - might...just might hop to a MAC pro laptop, can I connect a good monitor to it in order to get proper calibration

Do you need a laptop? If not you can get a 27" iMac for about the same price or less - depending on how the machines are spec'd - and that covers everything. I have one at work and it's great for editing images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back