Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Fuji or Panasonic.
Any other contenders?

I'm wanting a travel camera that is more portable WITHOUT sacrificing stillframe quality too much. Keep in mind my primary is a D800.

Wants:
-Excellent quality & clarity.
-Choices for glass
-Great low iso capabilty

Kinda favoring the Fuji for it's larger sensor.

Sony A7 is a match for the D800 with an adapter you can use all your Nikon lenses, i use my Leica mount lenses which makes it a small powerful full frame

I have three complete systems, FF (IDs), APS-C (Fuji's) and MFT (OMD-EM1). In my mind there isn't any question, go Fuji. MFT has a much wider selection of glass, but Fujinon is continuously adding new stuff. For travel a XT1 (sans grip) or an E2. All of Fujinon's FX lenses are exceptionally sharp ... at a minimum 'L' sharp. The X-Pro1 build quality feels like a Nikon F and the lenses feel like the old Nikkor, all metal lenses. If you want to go simple, pick up a X100T, one camera ... one lens. You'll find that a fixed lens camera is actually quite liberating and really gets your photographic juices flowing.

Gary
Fuji Fanboy

_GA17344.jpg

XT1 - ISO 3200

_GA11077-X2.jpg

XT1 - ISO 3200

_S456109.jpg

X-Pro1 - ISO 3200

DSCF2680-X3.jpg

XT1 w/ 10-24 @ 10mm, ISO 400

as much as I'd love the full frame A7r from what I understand it's AF system is incredibly slow...a handicap I don't want. Leaning hard on the Fuji XT1 setup. Awesome images Gary A!

Sony A7 + 40mmF1.4 Nokton

DSC00856-XL.jpg

and a crop of above image

DSC00856_1-XL.jpg

16,000 ISO

DSC01243-XL.jpg

B+W 50mmF1.5 asph Nokton @ F1.5 with close focus adapter fully out

DSC01096b%2Bw-XL.jpg

The D800 which I have and the A7r share many similarities. Sony made the sensor, after all. My good friend and gazillionaire who buys every damn cam on the market had one and tells me the AF sytstem is slow. He did say the XT1 and G4 were his favorites. G4 having edge in video...which I'm not concerned about.

The D800 which I have and the A7r share many similarities. Sony made the sensor, after all. My good friend and gazillionaire who buys every damn cam on the market had one and tells me the AF sytstem is slow. He did say the XT1 and G4 were his favorites. G4 having edge in video...which I'm not concerned about.

I only use manual focus lenses so it does not bother me

The A7r is the 36-MP model with the slow AF system. The A7 is the 24-MP model with dual focusing systems,and faster AF performance. The A7r also has a ridiculous slam closed shutter/open shutter/close shutter (1-2-3) for every shot....OMG, Sony did NOT use an electronic first curtain on its high-res 36MP camera, but they DID on their 24 MP model! lol. So, the 24-MP A7 has a better AF system AND a quieter, less vibration-inducing electronic first curtain shutter, unlike the A7r. Soooo--the "cheap" camera has the better AF system AND the modern shutter system that the higher-end model lacks? OMG..only from Sony!!!

The A7r is one of THE loudest, clankiest shutters of the entire modern era, due to the mechanical first curtain slam close-slam open-slam close, three-stage shutter system. Retread engineers, $44,999 per year! Sony answered that listing, got a bunch of em and put them to work on the A7r.They had been designing bottle openers and toilet tank valve systems, but made the transition to camera engineering pretty darned quickly! This is why the A7r has a vibration problem that serious landscape shooters have noted; the nice thing is that it CAN be corrected for critical work, by bolting a 2 pound milled brass weight to the bottom of the A7r, to dampen the vibration from 1/2 to 1/100 second. [Seriously, I am NOT making up the 2 lb. brass weight "fix"--this is a real "fix" for high-resolution tripod based shooting with high-resolution lenses.]

The A7 and A7r also shoot 11-bit, highly "cooked" not-raw raw images...see the Hogan review... Sony's engineers I swear must be retreads, not brand new tires...Fuji OTOH is running on new Pirellis...

Last edited:
I think I heard that the new A7R has been re-designed and fitted with the Oly 5 axle IBIS. Ever few thing in photography are magical. The Oly 5 axle IBIS is one of those magical things.

@Derrel .. that's kinda funny because last week I picked up four Pirellis'.

The AF on the XT1 is fast enough for sports. I've been shooting some youth soccer and T-Ball with some success.

_GA15389.jpg

_GA14089-L.jpg

_GA14850-L.jpg

DSCF6587.jpg

But the XT1 does not track. So shooting any action with the XT1 is harder with less keepers than an advanced dSLR.

Gary

Most reactions

New Topics

Back