Best options for editing with a Macbook

Kmsb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know a laptop isn't the best for editing, but I'm not really looking to buy a desktop yet. Would it work hooking the MacBook up to a HD TV? Or could I buy just a monitor & hook it up that way? I have Photoshop Elements.

The resolution of a TV (even HD) is usually a lot lower than the resolution of a typical computer monitor so an external monitor would be preferred.

I edit straight on my macbook pro. I haven't had any issues.

Do you ever look at the edited photos on another computer/monitor? I edit on an MBP too but when I review the images using a different monitor, I often get different results.

Do you ever look at the edited photos on another computer/monitor? I edit on an MBP too but when I review the images using a different monitor, I often get different results.

Yeah, but other monitors aren't calibrated. My prints come out as expected though, so I call it good.

I also edit with a MBP. I run CS5 and LR3 from it. Mind you I have the maximum 8GB memory and one of the fastest Intel processors. I do get issues if I try to do very much while knitting panos, but with an average pano being over 4GB (the downside of a 40mp medium format camera and using a superb lens like the Pentax FA 645 120 macro that gives SO much detail) that's not really surprising.

Bossy said:
Yeah, but other monitors aren't calibrated. My prints come out as expected though, so I call it good.

Do you calibrate you MacBook?

The MacBook Pro has an IPS type display (In-Plane Switching), unlike most other laptops that have a less desireable for editing TN display (Twisted Nematic).

The issue in the case of using a laptop to edit is the screen angle and ambient lighting can vary.

Ideally, if the ambient light falling on the display changes, or the angle of the display is changed, the display needs to be re-calibrated to ensure accuracy.

Its not that difficult to keep the screen parallel to my face :D I guess others can certainly struggle with it though.

I've been using the MBP for photo editing for the last 5 years and haven't seen a problem when exporting it to my desktop which runs a monitor at 2560x1600 resolution. And the MBP doesn't use an IPS screen only the [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cinema Display and the iMacs have IPS screens, I know it sucks why doesn't a $2000 laptop have an IPS but only a TN panel screen but mind you a very good one much better than most other none Apple laptops.[/FONT]

same here. I blacked out a background before and went to my friends windows computer and it looked like **** .... Sigh

It probably depends on if you are a professional or just learning. I (just learning) only use my uncalibrated macbook to edit and never seem to have issues or comments (related to edits/calibration) on here when I post for c&c.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back