Best Photography Books

I have "Complete Digital Photography" by Ben Long and think it's a great overview. Thank you thierry and Big Mike for mentioning the flaws in Understanding Exposure..as a beginner sounds like I might find it helpful but I should look for other options that cover that material

Great...I have both of Peterson's books and now your saying I'm wasting my time?? Grrrrrr...As a beginner, how do you know what your reading is incorrect. It's funny, I had a hard time getting through Understanding exposure, but I'm really liking Understanding Flash Photography.

I enjoyed having all that information in my hands in one place. I think the peterson books are worth it for beginners.

I am a complete newbie but recently read Bryan Petersons "Understanding exposure" and it helped me learn the photo triangle as they call it quite a bit.

Last edited:
I have not heard anyone recommend looking at book by master photographers like HCB, Horst, Elliot Erwitt, Andre Kertesz, Sabastio Salgado, Eugene Atget, Bruno Barby, Robert Capa, Edward Weston just to name a few you will learn more than any Bryan Patterson book

^^ uhm. I recommended Adams

not sure if you've ever heard of him tho ;) but some people think he's a master.

Adams photography and approach aren't my can of cheap beer, either, but his books are very thorough.

I haven't been able to buy any books, so I went to the library, and I just wanted to throw it out there that "(Teach Yourself) Photography" by Lee Frost helped me out a good bit.

Not to bring back from the dead.. But I wanted to see if anybody read any new readings? Im looking to purchase a few more texts to read

Most reactions

New Topics

Back