Best system for editing?

mlyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to be upgrading from my HP laptop to something better suited for editing. I know whatever I buy will have to have an amazing graphics card, but that's about the extent of what I know to look for. I'm debating on whether to get a desktop or another laptop, & I'm also considering crossing over to the dark side & getting a Mac.

So my question is - what type of system do you use for editing? What do you love or hate about it? What are the benefits of going with a Mac as opposed to a Windows system?

One last thing - does anyone use an iPad or tablet to show client's their proofs? I can't imagine editing on one, but it seems it would be quite convenient to have on hand during meetings with clients & much lighter than your average laptop.

TIA

Two big screens, lots of RAM, lots of USB ports. A graphics tablet. Win or Mac - doesn't matter so much imo.

You'll get more computer for your money with a desktop... If it doesn't have to be portable, I would skip the laptop.

I use Linux, personally. For photo editing, the only down side is that GIMP is about as fancy as it gets. At least pretty much everything is free though...

Mac or Windows ... as far as photo work goes, I don't see much difference. They both have more or less the same software options.

To start off, have you used macs before and are you accustomed to its user interface? Because going from Pc to mac is a little different, and taking the step to learn the interface would be possibly another thing to consider. For me Macs are easier to use editing wise, but that's as far as it goes. You should also take into account that the price of a Mac (Desktop or laptop) can build you a VERY smooth running PC desktop.

I too am looking at getting a computer (been using my gf's) since i am gonna be getting the nikon d90 here very soon. I have always heard that macs are the computer to use for digital media. I have always thought in the past years that people where dumb to get a mac and where simply paying for the mac brand. Well I have heard a rumor that macs simply just work how they are supposed to, they dont slow down like regular pc's do. Now if thats true then i really want a mac! It seems every computer my family has ever had just slows down drastically after a short time and its beyond frustrating. The computer i use now is rediculously slow. We can wipe it clean but it never fails to just slow down again weeks later, sometimes days. My question is, do macs really hold their own like i have heard they do? What makes them the choice for professional media?

I had a Mac that would occasionally crash. I have several modern WIndows PCs which don't slow down.

Yeah, the whole MAC vs PC thing is so tired... bottom line, MAC's nowadays run on PC hardware - 100%. You're really buying MAC OS vs Windows 7. Both are modern fine systems and (honestly) you can't go wrong with either. The old mac's are better for digital media is flat out not the case any longer.

The OP said that he thought he needed a GREAT video card for his new machine. That's not the case. Photo editing is a 2D operation and the 2D manipulation of all modern video cards is great and roughly equal. The video cards are touting their 3D abilities for gaming, that's what makes the difference between the expensive ones and cheap ones. Just get something middle of the road video card wise and you'll be fine. RAM and CPU power will make a much bigger difference...

I too am looking at getting a computer (been using my gf's) since i am gonna be getting the nikon d90 here very soon. I have always heard that macs are the computer to use for digital media. I have always thought in the past years that people where dumb to get a mac and where simply paying for the mac brand. Well I have heard a rumor that macs simply just work how they are supposed to, they dont slow down like regular pc's do. Now if thats true then i really want a mac! It seems every computer my family has ever had just slows down drastically after a short time and its beyond frustrating. The computer i use now is rediculously slow. We can wipe it clean but it never fails to just slow down again weeks later, sometimes days. My question is, do macs really hold their own like i have heard they do? What makes them the choice for professional media?

Danger... danger... mac vs pc debate possible... :p If you do a search, this topic comes up quite often and degrades to a flamewar complete with its own set of trolls.

I prefer Mac but it doesn't really matter at this point. Just get the best system you can afford and max out the memory. No need for a "great" video card. Do some research and get a good monitor even if you decide on a laptop... don't forget to get something to calibrate.

Most reactions

Back