Should I ditch the desktop for a laptop?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For all the years I've been working on computers, I never owned a laptop. I've always just built my own PC with the specs I needed, it was significantly cheaper at the time and laptops just weren't as powerful but today this just isn't the case anymore. There are laptops out there that outperform my desktop with ease.

My current PC I built in January 2019 with a Z390 motherboard, Intel i5 9600K, 32gb DDR4, NVMe & SSD drives and for the GPU, I'm using a Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb SSC which is getting a little long in the tooth, I can't edit 4k video, it maxes out the GPU haha. I also use a 27" 1440p IPS color calibrated display.

But I mainly built my computer for photo/video editing and it generally has been sufficient for most of my needs, I don't play games on it usually. I don't do as much with photography and video these days, not as often as I did anyways and I'm struggling if I want to put more money into my computer now..like an RTX 3060 12gb just to edit video that I haven't been able to do efficiently in hopes that it might get me back into making videos again or to change it up and make it more simple with just having a laptop instead.

The only thing that interests me with a laptop is the portability allowing me to use my computer elsewhere besides in the same room, I can work on things anywhere.

Just thinking out loud, what do you use?

I'd keep the calibrated monitor to plug into the laptop when editing. I'm not sure if the 1440 is good though especially if editing 4K video 3840x2160 or 2K 1920x1080. Maybe someone else could chime in. I still use my desktop so can't suggest a laptop.

I have both, (well several of both, it’s an addiction), and a cloud drive on them all. I like portable and desktop power, so can’t make up my mind.

Edit to add, I use HP enterprise for all, zbook pro model for the laptops. They haven’t had any issues with whatever I throw on them.

I've been on a laptop for several years, because of travel it was a necessity. However our travel is way down so last month I went with a desktop. I still have my laptop but it isn't seeing nearly as much use. I had forgotten how much better a well laid out desk with a desktop was!

I switched to a laptop (a 2021 14" M1 Pro Macbook Pro) in 2022 and haven't had a single regret. Apart from it being the fastest computer I have ever owned, it's the portability that has really made a difference for me as someone who travels frequently.

I used a lap top for my photo editing win 7
hhowever, if I had the funds I would go back to a base unit and build to my own specs as I can not upgrade the lap top.
so for me stay with the desk top and upgrade to what you need as you know some companies use own brand drives etc I used generic

I have always had both.

Desktop is for my graphics work, 3D Animation / Photography / video. The laptop is for viewing the output or showing other people the output.

2 different requirements with 2 different solutions.

CHEERS
JBO

Thanks everyone so much. I like the simplicity of a laptop but I'm just look at how much it would cost to transition to a laptop only setup. I'd have to get a dock that would give me more ports, ethernet and what use all stuff I have connected to my desktop and I'd have to make all my storage drives external. It would be huge expense and probably not worth it right now as I don't really travel and if I was to travel, I wouldn't want to bring an expensive laptop that would be heavier and bigger due to the hardware I'd want in it.

So I guess overall, desktop is probably a better setup for me currently. Like others said, it would be better to just ADD a laptop or perhaps a tablet for mobile use.

Thanks everyone so much. I like the simplicity of a laptop but I'm just look at how much it would cost to transition to a laptop only setup. I'd have to get a dock that would give me more ports, ethernet and what use all stuff I have connected to my desktop and I'd have to make all my storage drives external. It would be huge expense and probably not worth it right now as I don't really travel and if I was to travel, I wouldn't want to bring an expensive laptop that would be heavier and bigger due to the hardware I'd want in it.

So I guess overall, desktop is probably a better setup for me currently. Like others said, it would be better to just ADD a laptop or perhaps a tablet for mobile use.
The other thing to consider is do you really need to edit when you travel? I always wait until I get home and enjoy the trip while I;m traveling. If you just want to view larger, maybe a Tablet would be sufficient. They're cheaper and lighter as well. You can use it for internet, email, etc. I take my tablet.

I'd have to get a dock that would give me more ports, ethernet and what use all stuff I have connected to my desktop and I'd have to make all my storage drives extern

This is what I meant by a "well laid out desk. My laptop looked like a Frankenstein creation with wires, external drives, hubs etc. The only thing that necessitates keeping the laptop is I shoot tethered in studio.

This is what I meant by a "well laid out desk. My laptop looked like a Frankenstein creation with wires, external drives, hubs etc. The only thing that necessitates keeping the laptop is I shoot tethered in studio.

I don't know if a laptop could make this any better.

Erwin-231120-86545.jpg

I don't know if a laptop could make this any better.
You could still do that with a laptop and dock, just put the laptop and dock under the monitor or in the floor beside the desk. I've had to setup several folks in the office with docks and multiple monitors, etc. and some are very neat desk people.

You could still do that with a laptop and dock, just put the laptop and dock under the monitor or in the floor beside the desk. I've had to setup several folks in the office with docks and multiple monitors, etc. and some are very neat desk people.

I could..but what's the point if I was to get a laptop and just have it sit on my desk 90 percent of the time as I don't really travel much. I looked at the pros and cons and I just couldn't justify getting a high end laptop when my PC is way significantly cheaper to do the same thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back