Best Third Party Flash!?

Dominik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I OWN A NIKON d3100 and have wireless triggers!

I want to get a new flash! Nothing fancy, preferably older. Something I can put the ISO I'm shooting at, has a distance scale, doesn't even have to a LCD screen for controls buttons or switches are perfectly fine, the head doesn't need a tilt or anything it can be stable in one spot. Doesn't matter what brand as long as it is stable for at least a year and between the range of $30-$100 American or Canadian! My budget is low because I'm saving for a new body and these flashes are to play with!

I already own the sb-600 (got it before the sb-700), but that isn't enough for some nice skateboarding photography. Need at least one more flash to get more creative with the lighting and to have more fun :)

I have a yn468 I bought from amazon and it was around 70usd. I like it, I'm a noob though, it could be a pos but I wouldn't know. The reviews on amazon were great for it and it does have the e-TTL (I think that's what its called)

Would you be able to give me a detailed review? With what is good and what is bad?

Yongnuo flashes seem to get attention. I use their triggers and love them. You can watch bunches of videos on YouTube on reviews. Another 3rd party flash that's cheaper and gaining momentum is Neewer.

These are built like a tank, Metz Mecablitz 45 CL-4 ....on ebay and cheap... I have 3 of them, no TTL but you don't need this. great light output fast recycle... they were $400 + when new

These are built like a tank, Metz Mecablitz 45 CL-4 ....on ebay and cheap... I have 3 of them, no TTL but you don't need this. great light output fast recycle... they were $400 + when new

These have an incredible auto thyristor too. You can set them on stands and dial in your ratios by setting the aperture number and you can even use umbrellas this way. Granted you have to be fairly close but it's doable.

These are built like a tank, Metz Mecablitz 45 CL-4

I agree with this. I have a Metz 50 AF-1 and it's a great 3rd party flash. Made in Germany, USB port for firmware updates, and super-bright. It works very well on my D3100. They're about $250 brand new though, so obviously above your budget. Keep them in mind for the future though. For now, it looks like the Yongnuo's on Amazon might be your best bet in that price range. They are very popular budget flashes.

The yongnuo yn560 is a great flash. No ttl metering but that's easy to work around.

Most reactions

Back