Best Time Of Day??

crystalclear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been asked by a friend to take engagement pictures of her and her boyfriend. They want them to be outside and I was wondering what is the best time of day to do portait outside photos??? It doesn't get dark here until about 8:30p.m. So would 4:00 p.m. be an ok time or would later be better? Your input is very appreciated. Thank you!!!

Crystal

Depends on what you're going for. I prefer sunset time - a nice sky can make a mediocre pic a good pic.

well i guess kind of "romantic". So sunset would probably be a good time for that. I was just wondering what is everyone's favorite or best times to take portraits outside?

Thank you for your input!!!!!

People also say a cloudy overcast day is better than a sunny day because the light is softer.

I favor morning light myself. It's a little cooler (colorwise) and conveys a sense of newness which is appropriate for engagement pictures.

The Golden Hours are the hour immediately after sunrise and the hour immediately preceeding sunset.

Strobed light is needed anytime your subjects are backlit, be it 4:00 PM, 7:30 pm or 6:30 AM .

Off camera strobed light (OCF) is good for adding modeling and drama to engagement images regardless the time of day you are shooting.

Reflectors can help if you don't have a flash or OCF capability or don't yet know how to do good strobed light photography.

yeah i haven't quite gotten into strobed light and all that. I just have a nikon d3000 and the pop up flash on it.

I've found that about an hour before sunset is great. I just keep taking pictures until it get's too dark. This way I get a good hour of pictures with light changing fairly rapidly. Then you can choose what pictures and light you like later.

I usually shoot after sunset.

yeah i haven't quite gotten into strobed light and all that. I just have a nikon d3000 and the pop up flash on it.
The pop-up is a strobe light.

If your subjects are back lit you need to use it.

If you're going to be taking engagement photos you really should learn how to use it real soon.

Visit www.planetneil.com .

oh. well i use the pop up flash....i just do not have an external flash yet. was looking into getting the nikon SB-600. i've seen a lot of people like it. I have a nikon d-3000.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back