Best Tripod around $100

No offense to anyone who has posted, but I have to think that some of the posters touting the merits of inexpensive tripods (especially that flexible thing) have never used a good, high-quality tripod before because doing so would change their quality scale entirely. I've used cheap tripods (I still have a couple) and I've used good tripods. I can tell you for absolute fact that the difference in stability is immediately noticeable. In windy or unstable conditions there is no comparison whatsoever.

I personally prefer Manfrotto. Not because I feel that they are the best but rather because I feel that they are an excellent compromise between cost and quality.

Also keep in mind that just because a tripod has a reputable name on it doesn't automatically mean it is a good tripod. I bought one by a reputable tripod manufacturer several years ago and it was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned.

Smith victor bh8 ball head., knock off of the swiss made $500 arca ball head. Cullmann 525 tripod legs

Smith victor bh8 ball head - $60
Cullman magnesit 525 legs - $108

Dare you to find a better setup for under $200

Also I own the dolica and its decent for the price, the ball head is actually not bad for a mini ball head, but the legs are scary sometimes and if you extend the top section is useless as a tripod for any dslr with any decent lens. I don't trust my f.2.8 glass on it.

In short if you plan to stick with this hobby buy a decent tripod like the combo I said

Last edited:
Smith victor bh8 ball head., knock off of the swiss made $500 arca ball head. Cullmann 525 tripod legs

Smith victor bh8 ball head - $60
Cullman magnesit 525 legs - $108

Dare you to find a better setup for under $200

Also I own the dolica and its decent for the price, the ball head is actually not bad for a mini ball head, but the legs are scary sometimes and if you extend the top section is useless as a tripod for any dslr with any decent lens. I don't trust my f.2.8 glass on it.

In short if you plan to stick with this hobby buy a decent tripod like the combo I said

Which supports SCraig's statement. But, there is a HUGE difference in quality between $170 and $100 which is what the OP was asking for.

We spent $200 on our manfrotto tripod and love it. It isnt as light as a carbon fiber one, but when you set it somewhere, it stays there. A nice pan tilt head with handles makes a big difference too. Very easy to move the camera around, but cost another $150. I honestly dont know much about cheaper tripods, but if at all possible, try and put the money away for a good solid tripod and only spend the money once.

You know. Tripods are really one of those things you don't realize how crappy cheap ones are until you have a relatively decent one.

That said, don't buy a new tripod. They depreciate faster than the Ford Fiesta. I own these legs:

Bogen Manfrotto 3001 Black Camera Tripod Legs 719821185222 | eBay

They're really easy to work on all the parts tighten on with like a 6mm (or so) nut. All the screws you could easily replace from hardware stocked parts, so even if your "well loved" used tripod is a bit wiggly, it'd be easy to tighten up. All tripods get loose with time, quality ones are easy to tune-up.

Also available in buy-it-now silver:

BOGEN / MANFROTTO 3001 PROFESSIONAL TRIPOD GOOD CONDITION 719821185222 | eBay

This is the simple 3-way head I own:

Bogen Manfrotto 3030 3-Way Pan/Tilt Tripod Head with Quick Release Plate | eBay

Pretty standard.

At this price point you're not going to get sturdy AND light weight. But with a strap, this tripod is easy to manage. I found one with large hooks at Goodwill that I use, I just slip the strap back through the hook forming a loop. Though they do make ones for this purpose that would work better:

NEW MATIN Tripod Carrying Strap (Neoprene cushion Pad) for Manfrotto 102 190 055 | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No offense to anyone who has posted, but I have to think that some of the posters touting the merits of inexpensive tripods (especially that flexible thing) have never used a good, high-quality tripod before because doing so would change their quality scale entirely. I've used cheap tripods (I still have a couple) and I've used good tripods. I can tell you for absolute fact that the difference in stability is immediately noticeable. In windy or unstable conditions there is no comparison whatsoever.

I personally prefer Manfrotto. Not because I feel that they are the best but rather because I feel that they are an excellent compromise between cost and quality.

Also keep in mind that just because a tripod has a reputable name on it doesn't automatically mean it is a good tripod. I bought one by a reputable tripod manufacturer several years ago and it was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned.

+1 on this /\

My friend purchased a 4-section 'carbon fiber' tripod and I'm sure it was a decent deal, probably in the same price range as that Dolica. I thought, ok cool...carbon fiber, NEW...jealous. I'll still be happy with my Manfrotto 3221 and lug it around though. It's old but sturdy and I know I can trust it. I purchased it used on ebay twice; I had a silver one with a gitzo ballhead that I paid $120 for, but decided I wanted it in black, and found a good one for $70, so I bought it and transferred the gitzo G1377M magnesium head onto the new (used) tripod. It's all about timing, I can't say you'll have that luck, but perhaps!

I went to my friend's house the other week, and as soon as I brought out my tripod the first thing he said was, and I quote: "Woah..."
Granted some of that may have been from the foam on the legs, but it's no slouch of a tripod.
He didn't USE my tripod, but it's bigger, and IMO significantly sturdier (I messed with his tripod a bit). Mine has 3-piece legs, eliminating 3 more points of failure and 3 points that could add flex. It might be heavier and longer, but I'd trust it more on a beach. I would never put $1000+ of gear on a tripod worth 50 dollars at the beach, even if you're next to it to catch the thing, do you want to be fumbling with a 4lb+ camera that's about to hit the deck on a sandy beach because a cheap part snapped?

I'm sure you could get the 50 dollar tripod and be fine for a few months, but in time it will likely wear out much faster, at least possibly requiring a new head, or your camera might get heavier and make the camera shake. You don't want shake when trying to make a good evening shot of the sunset with a breeze kicking things around. I use a remote shutter release even on my Manfrotto tripod. I haven't done much beach shooting to be honest, but I'm sure you know how windy it can get that close to shore, having a ball head is ok, but if it's not an expensive ballhead (mine costs about 180-200 new), I bet you'll be cranking it down hard and it will still flex. Then it will wear out after all the tightening and re-tightening, and then you'll want to spend more money, not only because your camera wobbles, but because the finish on the head has become rough or it won't lock anymore.

Check out the 1-3 star reviews on any cheap tripod and see what the issues are, especially after a few months. I loved my 3221 but it took a month for the leglocks to break in after I cleaned it (disassembled all parts), and I discovered a leg lock was too loose. I was able to tighten that up easily (1/2 turn of a wrench..no big deal) but it took a month for it to loosen; imagine what might show up after 5 months of using a cheap tripod. Unfolding, folding, locking, unlocking, sliding, banging, dropping...etc. YMMV, but I'd recommend hanging on for a good tripod, and like it was said not just any tripod from a good name, manfrotto makes flimsy stuff too. For example, I was told the model under mine (3001 or 3011N or something) is smaller and too flimsy, which is why I bought the 3221. Someone told me the lower models wouldn't cut it for my gear and I knew I was only going to get heavier lenses, but just above my post unpopular said the 3001 legs are good, so perhaps that one is sufficient for lighter setups or it's the 3011N that's not so good, sorry I can't recall.

While I don't just want you to purchase this, here's an example of a similar tripod I just saw recommended in another thread, if nobody bids it will be around $110 shipped. Manfrotto 3021PRO Tripod 719821175759 | eBay

Buy a good used tripod off ebay or locally if you can, finding one with a stellar head is a plus too, you never know what you'll find! I've found lots of amazing deals.

Another tripod under $100 that I could see staying that way to closing bid:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIPOD-BOGEN-3021-MANFROTTO-/170919270483?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item27cb951853

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
We spent $200 on our manfrotto tripod and love it. It isnt as light as a carbon fiber one, but when you set it somewhere, it stays there. A nice pan tilt head with handles makes a big difference too. Very easy to move the camera around, but cost another $150. I honestly dont know much about cheaper tripods, but if at all possible, try and put the money away for a good solid tripod and only spend the money once.

A good point that I Forgot to mention.

The tripod head is what holds your camera, and it is just as important, if not more, as the legs. Better grade tripods do not come with a head, they are legs only, because there are a number of styles and weights of heads and not everyone wants or needs the same thing. Too small or too cheap or too poorly made and your camera will never be steady regardless of what legs are underneath it. They will droop with a big lens or shift at the slightest excuse.

I personally prefer a pure ball head, but that's personal preference. I've tried the trigger-grip heads and the kind with the big pan lever sticking out and I don't like them. Regardless of what I did the lever or handle was in my way so I quit using them. I prefer a medium ball head with large thumbscrews that are easy to find without having to look for them. The pan lock and ball lock thumbscrews on my head are different size so I can tell which is which without having to take my eye from the viewfinder.

I also have a geared head for precision shots but it's too heavy and too slow to use for anything that doesn't require precision positioning.

I've put all sorts of stuff on those legs! I mean, I'd probably want a larger head if I was doing it over again, but really the only thing I felt the setup wouldn't handle was the Omegaview behemoth I tried to put on it, but again, I am pretty sure if I mounted this on a larger head, the legs would hold up just fine.

I've been through a LOT of camera bodies on that tripod. It's always been sturdy.

I've thrown it off cliffs, slid it down mountains, used it as a walking stick. The only damage is bars that tighten the head have been bent a little, but are still useable. But those legs? Hardly a scratch.

Guys, any thoughts on the Manfrotto MKC3 or 294?

Guys, any thoughts on the Manfrotto MKC3 or 294?

The MKC3 is rated for 3.3 pounds. How much does your camera and heaviest lens weigh? Five section legs mean 6 more places for looseness compared to 3-section legs. Minimum height is 17". The 294 is MUCh, MUCH better since it has 3-section legs and will hold 11 pounds. I would have no interest at all in that MKC3 however I would consider the 294.

How much does your camera and heaviest lens weigh?
I only have the 18-55mm kit lens for the d3100. Do you know the minimum height of the 294? I'm looking for something I can carry around easily during my travels.

How much does your camera and heaviest lens weigh?
I only have the 18-55mm kit lens for the d3100. Do you know the minimum height of the 294? I'm looking for something I can carry around easily during my travels.
27.48 inches. Click the Specifications Tab.

You only have the D3100 and 18-55 NOW. How about a year from now? A Good tripod will last forever but it's only useful if it will hold your gear up.

I am one who can attest to the importance of a good tripod. I was doing some astrophotography with a d90 on a mafrotto 055xprob with a 410 geared head, which held a tracking device to get ride of star trails, then a 496 ball head, then the d90. I had my d700 on a $60 sunpac tripod doing star trails. The leg on the sunpac broke and sent the d700 to the ground 4 feet below. It knocked the viewfinder out of alignment. 4 weeks and $400 later I got it back. That tripod is now sitting in the dump.

Moral of the story is what seems like big investment now could save you big in the long run.

Another thing about the 055xprob is that I used it hiking in Yosemite. It was used a walking stick, thrown down 5 foot cliffs, balanced precariously on rocks, and all it shows is a few scratches.

I would recommend:
manfrotto 055xprob - $150
manfrotto 496rc2 - $70

It may seem like a lot but if it saves your camera and lens from taking a very expensive gravity test it is worth it. OP - especially because you said you wanted to shoot seascapes with a lot of wind (and possibly water below) I would make buy a solid tripod now and save your camera.

Most reactions

Back