Best way to learn basics on DSLR? (online photography courses?)

itnithand

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone! I have a Canon Rebel T3i. I have used it multiple times but kind of just taken pictures on auto-focus and turned flash on and off and that's kind of it. I wanted to learn some more about what I can do with my camera but was not sure where to go from here. I feel like an online course might be a good option. If anyone agrees could you comment an online course or some videos you might recommend? Thanks!

I'd start with YouTube videos. Start with the Exposure Triangle.

There are a number of online courses and videos, and should show up in your favorite search engine. There is a free one at morguefile.com; send me a PM and I'll give you the details.

Another consideration is a TPF mentor. The program guidelines and mentor bios can be found here. @480sparky, @tirediron, @chausam, and @pixmedic are still very active on the site; a few of the others may be.

I feel like an online course might be a good option.
Hey, yourself, and welcome!

When you say "basics", do you mean what the controls on your camera will do? That should be all in the user's manual. If you're asking about photographic technique, then just ask on here or check out other learning sites.

If you need helpful hints, critique, and encouragement, then you're already in the right place, just ask more specific questions.

I just put in a bunch of work prepping for a photo class, PM me your email and I'll send you the links.

I learned almost entirely on You Tube videos along with some paid courses from CreativeLive and Great Courses.

I would start by searching for some tutorials specific to the T3i. That will help you learn the features and capabilities of your specific camera. Tony Northrup has one that is about the T3-T6 line of Canon cameras that starts out very basic (like how to load the battery) but does have some useful information further on.

When I first started out with digital photography with a Nikon D5200, I purchased a "crash course" from Michael Andrew. It was great for just starting out. It had a lot of instruction specific to the D5200, along with a lot of general stuff like composition, lighting, etc. He also has one for the Canon T3i.

Canon Rebel T3i Crash Course Video Lessons | Download Now! Canon T3i Crash Course Training Tutorial Video by Michael Andrew Download [MTM-T3i-DNLD] - $36.95

Of course, you should also go over the Manual, however, I find Manuals a great reference tool, but a terrible learning tool. After you learn your camera, then you can start getting into more specific photography areas like composition, lighting, portraiture, landscape, wildlife, etc. But first - learn your camera.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome, utube is a good place to start.........

Step 1: Read the camera manual!

Step 2: Experiment with all the controls.

Step 3: Figure out what works where, when and why.

After those three steps, you are as good as or better than many (most?) professionals. Learn to shoot in manual mode, learn lighting and the effect it has in direction, intensity and diffusion. Natural and artificial light. Learn depth of field and you now have 99% of pros beat.

Of course, being professional just means somebody paid you for the work. It doesn't mean the work was any good. :)

Jeff

I took a paid course at the local community college taught by the same professor that teaches the photography courses there.

1a - Read The Manual with the camera next to you and follow along.
1b - Get a GOOD 3rd party instruction book for YOUR camera. Many times these books instruct you on how to use your camera better than the factory manual.

2 - Look at the online photography lessons, and see if YOU can learn from it. Some people do not learn well from one-way online classes, they need 2-way in person hands-on classes where they can ask questions and get immediate answers. The problem with online lessons is, if you get stuck, it can be difficult and take a long time to get past that stuck point. In an in person class, you ask the instructor a question, and get an immediate answer.

I took a beginner's course that was being offered at a local camera shop and taught by the man whole turned me on to my first dslr. I later took a more intermediate class that was given by my local school district. I really liked both.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back