Best way to store lenses?

Lightsped

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need to organize and store my lenses better. Currently they sit in a drawer. I do my best to keep them straight and organized, but I feel I need something more secure. I currently have seven or eight lenses. What is the best way to store these lenses when at home?

I first started out using Lowepro lens cases for each lens I had. As they fasten easily to my belt when I need to have them instantly available, the lens cases work great when I'm out shooting cityscapes downtown somewhere on foot. But when not 'out and about', or on an indoor shoot, I keep them in my 'glorified gym bag' from Walmart with a camera bag insert. There's a zillion of them here:
Amazon.com: camera bag insert

But after reading about them on this forum (or was it another one?), I settled on this one:
Amazon.com: Ciesta Flexible Camera Insert Partition for DSLR SLR Lens (Brown / Medium): Camera & Photo

I only put the lenses back into Lowepro lens cases when I'm 'on the road'...or sidewalks somewhere.

I keep a couple of silica packets in the gymbag as well, to keep everything dry.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
$40.00 from a predominantly auto shop no less, called Supercheap.
Maybe something like this near you. All the compartments are made by you pulling the pre cut foam out wherever you want, and in whatever shape you desire.
To get this from a camera shop would cost twice as much.

$IMG_2047.jpg

I need to organize and store my lenses better. Currently they sit in a drawer. I do my best to keep them straight and organized, but I feel I need something more secure. I currently have seven or eight lenses. What is the best way to store these lenses when at home?

I own a LOT of camera bags. But for 7-8 lenses, I'd use something like this: Fly-By-76 | Kata Bags

What I like about it is the velcro partitions on the inside that let me adjust for whatever I need.

I do have a some pluck-cube Pelican cases (and they're great when you are storing the same equipment in them always so the pluck-cube foam can be plucked out to exactly fit what goes there) but they aren't as versatile when you want to change-up what you're storing in the case. They do make partitions for Pelican cases but even cases with hard-partitions offer some limited options for how to set up the bag.

I use a Tenba rolling backpack for "most" of my gear (1 body and about 5 lenses plus a flash, filters, and a few other assorted items) but that bag can't actually hold all my lenses, but I never take "all" of my lenses anywhere... several of them are specialty lenses.

I stored my photography gear in watertight, airtight, pretty much indestructible - Pelican cases. I got cases that had wheels and pull handles, which is handy for going out on location.

I hated foam dust, so I bought them with the padded, velcro secured, dividers instead.
Pelican 1650-021-110 Large Rolling Hardware and Accessory Case without Foam
Pelican 1655 Padded Divider Set for 1650 Case

I'll echo this. All my gear stays safely housed in a pelican case. And I use a Domke F2 to carry it around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Random post here...

I stored my photography gear in watertight, airtight, pretty much indestructible - Pelican cases. I got cases that had wheels and pull handles, which is handy for going out on location.

I hated foam dust, so I bought them with the padded, velcro secured, dividers instead.
Pelican 1650-021-110 Large Rolling Hardware and Accessory Case without Foam
Pelican 1655 Padded Divider Set for 1650 Case

That's funny... I used to work for a company that dealt with military communications equipment and the majority of equipment were shipped in pelican cases. Those things really are beastly.

I store my bodies and lenses in my camera bag or the photo insert in my messenger bag.

But because you have so many lenses and you're looking for something more secure then I definitely agree with the above.

I've used Pelican cases before. They're the next best thing to locking your equipment in a vault. They can be a bit unwieldy, but you can't question their durability.

Most reactions

Back