Best Workflow/Checklist for Taking a Photo

sashie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone!

Very new to SLR and was wondering if people had typical 'steps' or a mental checklist of setting up the camera before the shot. I'm trying to get into the creative modes on my Canon 400D. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

I just got an slr too so I don't have a checklist but what I do is I set the instant review to 4 seconds and after each shot I look at it on the screen, that way I see if I forgot to change the shutter speed and its waaay over exposed or something. This way I will always see if I need to change anything. This is in Manual mode btw. I just set it to manual right when I got it, then I got used to changing the settings and stuff, and I don't develop the habit of not checking settings, I will get used to having to check them all the time But that's me, good luck

ok well this is just my process
first and foremost, you need to find an interesting subject, whatever that may be
then either move the subject or move around the subject until you find an angle and light scenario that is pleasing to you
next, set up your shots composition
now is when you set your exposure settings and so forth, maybe tweaking some of the other factors to better accommodate the exposure settings (note* in a photo, focus and exposure are priority, so if u have to tweak your angle or composition slightly to preserve the correct exposure, do it)
then take a test shot and see how that works out
from there you can fix any other pieces that you feel don't work well with the photo, either tweak the composition slightly or alter your exposure or point of focus etc.

so... basically heres my mental checklist

1. find the subject
2. find the best angle / lighting
3. compose the shot
4. set the exposure
5. alter any other settings to accommodate the shot
6. take some test shots
7. tweak any settings you feel are holding back your photo, in essence fine tuning

thats how i do it anyway =P
hope that helps

ok well this is just my process
first and foremost, you need to find an interesting subject, whatever that may be
then either move the subject or move around the subject until you find an angle and light scenario that is pleasing to you
next, set up your shots composition
now is when you set your exposure settings and so forth, maybe tweaking some of the other factors to better accommodate the exposure settings (note* in a photo, focus and exposure are priority, so if u have to tweak your angle or composition slightly to preserve the correct exposure, do it)
then take a test shot and see how that works out
from there you can fix any other pieces that you feel don't work well with the photo, either tweak the composition slightly or alter your exposure or point of focus etc.

so... basically heres my mental checklist

1. find the subject
2. find the best angle / lighting
3. compose the shot
4. set the exposure
5. alter any other settings to accommodate the shot
6. take some test shots
7. tweak any settings you feel are holding back your photo, in essence fine tuning

thats how i do it anyway =P
hope that helps

+1

And as far as the settings themselves, you will get used to what typically needs to be changed from shot to shot and it will become second nature

For me, the amount of settings were overwhelming at first, but take one bite at a time. Learn one setting very well before taking on another and you will then be able to know how different settings work together & separately

Most reactions

New Topics

Back