What's new

BestBuy vs Broadway Camera

JustLearning

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 6, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Surrey
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,
I'm currently shopping for a new camera. I'm looking at the Nikon D7000 and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to buy it. So far I'm down to BestBuy or Broadway Camera. It's not really about price because they'll both price match. I've had some great service from Best Buy over the years but I've never had dealings with Broadway Camera (Surrey, BC location) so I'm a bit wary. Any thoughts??
 
Given the choice, I usually prefer to buy from Camera shops. If we don't support our local camera shops, they will disappear. Heck, most of them have already.

The good thing (for us) about those big box stores, is that they they sometimes have lower prices, but even then, I'd just use them as a price match and buy them at a camera store. One thing to check is the return policy (and maybe extended warranty, if that's something your interested in). Sometimes the box stores have a good return policy but often, they don't. They will certainly try to sell you on an extra warranty...which is usually something to avoid, but it may give you peace of mind...but read the fine print.
Compare the policy to what you will get at a camera store or London Drugs etc.

For me, the choice is usually between buying from a local camera shop or ordering from one of the big camera stores in New York (B&H or Adorama). For a long time, the US prices were much, much lower. Even with shipping and a lower Canadian dollar, it was still cheaper to order from the US.
Now, the Canadian dollar is practically on par with the US dollar, but more importantly, the Canadian market has finally aligned itself more closely with prices in the US. Now, most cameras & lenses are about the same price here or there, so it makes a lot more sense to buy locally.
In fact, some of the prices are even a lot better in some Canadian stores. For example, the Canon 5DmkII was on sale at Vistek for $1999...which is $700 off the regular price. Unlucky for me, I bought one three weeks earlier from another camera store, where it was $500 off. Their price match policy was only for two weeks after purchase.

I though there used to be a Vistek in the GVA, but I just checked and it doesn't look like it. I've never dealt with Broadway Camera. so I can't say anything about them...but why are you wary? (I did just read a bad review for Broadway Camera in Richmond (search didn't turn up any in Surrey).

You might also check out London Drugs, they usually have a pretty decent photography section. Probably as good or better than Best Buy or Future shop etc. I don't know if they price match, but they might.
 
Thanks so much for replying Big Mike! I did check and London Drugs will price match. I'll go there tonight and check it out. My concern over Broadway Camera was mostly that I don't know their reputation, whereas Best Buy has a pretty good one for customer service if problems arise. That being said though, I know London Drugs has an awesome reputation. Thank you for mentioning them as they had totally slipped my mind!

I did do a comparison with some US stores and found us to actually be cheaper on the camera and the lenses that I'm looking at.

I'm so excited to get my camera tonight! :)

Thanks again!!!
 
Btw Mike, I ordered that Mk2 but they're on backorder for several weeks now. :(

OP, be careful who you order through. Make sure they are a trusted dealer. I've never heard of Broadway Camera so if it's between them or B&H or Adorama, go with B&H or Adorama. Some of these fly-by-night camera shops in NY are straight up rip-offs so you have to be careful.
 
I believe they are wanting to purchase from a local store, In the area of Vancouver B.C....Broadway being one of them. Probably why you've never heard of them, being down in Houston. ;)

So you ordered from Vistek? I'm not surprised that their back ordered, that is a crazy good price. They are a good store, so I'd assume they'll get it to you ASAP. Although, you probably could have called around to other places to ask about stock, and then have them price match.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom