Better Black & White: 6 Tips from Gary Fong

No mention of shooting B+W film
Although Fong had an "illustrious 20-year career", I'm sure a majority of it was with film. However, I believe this particular article is geared towards the digital shooter.

That reminds me.... I have half a roll of unexposed Ilford B&W in my Canon that's been sitting there for over a year. Cheers for the nudge. :biggrin:

There was only one real step there. Use the black white conversion instead of desaturation.

There was only one real step there. Use the black white conversion instead of desaturation.

There was also a plug for his lightsphere in there too.

Cool!!!

1. Use photo shop for B&W.
2. Don't shoot in B&W.
3. Make sure you use photo shop for B&W.
4. Shooting in B&W is bad.
5. Buy my flash tupperware.

Yup...upon seeing this thread...my first thought was 'What is Gary trying to sell now?" :roll:

The only scenario where shooting black and white directly in camera is acceptable is a) you don't care about the outcome, and b) you have a full array of colour filters to do tone control on the lens before your camera records the image and completely screws up about 90% of your tone controlling ability.

I do not think he is 100% correct. Of course shooting B&W is correct but not on every occasion. Check the link

How To Shoot Black And White With DSLR

Note that he is shooting in both jpeg and raw, different animal. Using in camera bw can be helpful in learning about greyscale, which imho is much more important but rarely discussed in these conversations but not as a finished product.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back