Better tripod head than I got

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently bought the Manfrotto 294 Carbon Fiber Tripod with Quick Release Ball Head Kit from B&H. I like the tripod a lot, but the head is not what I expected. During my attempts to get shots of the last supermoon, I mounted my D5300 with a NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR lens on the tripod and had great difficulty composing my shots because the equipment seemed to be too heavy for the ball. I'd get the shot aligned, screw the locking knob down tight, let go and the camera/lens would shift down. I tried to compensate, but it was still a struggle trying to determine where to clamp and where it would end up. PITA!

Maybe the kit ball head for a tripod is like getting the kit lens for a camera - questionable quality. All the reviews I read were good though. My camera and lens comes nowhere close to the 11# weight limit. And twisting that locking knob was not my favorite thing to do. I am wondering if maybe the Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ball Head might be the better way to go (or maybe the 327RC2 for 20 bucks more). Or maybe shop a different manufacturer for ball heads? I'd like to keep the budget for this under 200 bucks. I don't do video. I do like to switch from landscape mode to portrait mode a lot and I prefer to fine-tune my composition in camera, rather than crop in processing, so where I point the lens is where I want it to stay when I finish making the adjustments.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

The general rule of thumb for tripods is that your heaviest combination lens/body should weigh no more than ONE HALF the rated maximum capacity, or in this case, 5 1/2 pounds. That said, your body and lens should still be under that, so I wonder if perhaps you got a dud? Even Manfrotto has the odd one. Personally, I like to buy my tripods from Craig's List & similar. You can save a LOT of money buying used; for instance right nowt here's a set of 190 legs & 488 head for around $150 in my area. I use the Manfrotto 468 as the head for my main tripod which I like because it has a separate tension control, meaning that even when I back off the ball tightening screw, it only flops around to the degree permitted by the tension control.

Jim, that type of saggy ball creep has plagued mankind for years!! ;-)

But seriously, yeah...that is mentioned in Thom Hogan's tripod basics article; even the medium-grade ballheads tend to "sag" a good deal when the user lets go of the doggone camera...the ball system and locking tension system on MANY ballheads is simply inadequate for a lot of camera/lens combos. My experience is that it's less of a problem on lighter camera/lens setups and much,much more an issue as the camera/lens combos get heavier. I have about a $399 Gitzo ball head rated for I want to say 32 pounds, and it is still NOT "quite all there" as far as lock-and-be perfect with 100 percent reliability. I have to compose a little bit high, to account for some sag once I lock and let go.

And is why I use 3-way heads instead of ball heads. :mrgreen:

Yup. I ways say when getting a head make sure it's a 3 way.

It's not even heavy setups - my ballhead (322RC2) sagged even on a half lifesize shot when doing macro (full macro it was worse and much harder to compensate for). For regular shots it was fine, even the tiny sag wasn't too hard to deal with; but when dealing with long focal lengths, or tight compositions or macro these little factors show up a lot more.

My solution was a Manfrotto Junior Geared head - its a 3 way head with fine toothed control in each of the 3 axis. It's overkill for general use and its utterly useless for panning or following any kind of action (you can lock the pressure off, but only by turning and holding a nob so only practically 1 axis if you've the other hand on the camera).
It's a pretty heavy and bulky head - don't get me wrong for macro its utterly fantastic; but outside of that I'd likely not recommend it unless one were using a very heavy setup and needed fine control.

Otherwise, as mentioned above, if you're doing general landscape shots or other slower subjects where you don't need fast panning then a 3way head is a superior choice and there are many affordable good quality options on the market.

So.... my "first" ballhead was one of these: Induro BHD2 Ballhead 479-002 B&H Photo Video (roughly 40lb capacity)

But when I bought a second tripod... my new ballhead is one of these: Induro BHD3 Ballhead 479-003 B&H Photo Video (roughly 55 lb capacity).

I've learned to stop screwing around... I'm using a tripod to hold the camera solidly... so I want something solid.

BTW... the BHD2 head is actually very solid. But when I bought the new tripod, it's a larger and beefier tripod so I figured I'd just get the larger head. I do have wimpier tripods and heads that I bought specifically to be lightweight ... but they're not nearly as solid and I know that. So when I use these, I use a remote release to avoid touching the camera and I'm carefully to protect the camera and tripod from vibrations.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I recently bought a new ball head and QR system - I really love it.

Arca Swiss PO Monoball using the Manfrotto 394 and 410PL Plates

So easy to tighten down and loosen and does not move.

p461077798-2.jpg

Quick release plate on D700:

p192493271-2.jpg

Last edited:
...I use 3-way heads instead of ball heads. :mrgreen:
I hadn't given any thought to 3-way heads. I spent some time looking at videos and reading reviews and just ordered the Manfrotto MHXPRO-3W 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head MHXPRO-3W B&H Photo I like that it also has 3 bubble levels. I've been attaching 2-way bubbles to my camera's hotshoe and that's kinda a hassle. This 3-way head is well within my budget and seems to have what I need.

Thank you,

Jim

After a year of use, my Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head is getting some "play" where the plate snaps into it. A little wiggle, not much, but it sure irks me when I think I'm ready to snap and it's off that small amount. Time to start looking around, I guess.

It's not even heavy setups - my ballhead (322RC2) sagged even on a half lifesize shot when doing macro (full macro it was worse and much harder to compensate for). For regular shots it was fine, even the tiny sag wasn't too hard to deal with; but when dealing with long focal lengths, or tight compositions or macro these little factors show up a lot more.

My solution was a Manfrotto Junior Geared head - its a 3 way head with fine toothed control in each of the 3 axis. It's overkill for general use and its utterly useless for panning or following any kind of action (you can lock the pressure off, but only by turning and holding a nob so only practically 1 axis if you've the other hand on the camera).
It's a pretty heavy and bulky head - don't get me wrong for macro its utterly fantastic; but outside of that I'd likely not recommend it unless one were using a very heavy setup and needed fine control.

Otherwise, as mentioned above, if you're doing general landscape shots or other slower subjects where you don't need fast panning then a 3way head is a superior choice and there are many affordable good quality options on the market.

Have never had any problems with my 322RC2. The clench strength on the ball is adjustable. Wonder if your problem is the size of the RC2 plate relative to the leverage a long lens can exert. Weight alone doesn't seem to induce the sort of sag you're complaining about. Used my old F3HP+MD4+180/2.8AIS(about 6lbs)with no problems. Same with a Mamiya 645 Super+power winder grip+150/3.5. Put a 300/2.8 on the F3HP+MD4 and it did move but only because the RC2 couldn't cope with the weight--not the 322 ballhead itself. As usual, YMMV.

Last edited:
...I use 3-way heads instead of ball heads. :mrgreen:
I hadn't given any thought to 3-way heads. I spent some time looking at videos and reading reviews and just ordered the Manfrotto MHXPRO-3W 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head MHXPRO-3W B&H Photo I like that it also has 3 bubble levels. I've been attaching 2-way bubbles to my camera's hotshoe and that's kinda a hassle. This 3-way head is well within my budget and seems to have what I need.

Thank you,

Jim

The adjustable tension on each of the axis points is something new on that model that makes fine adjustment way easier.

So.... my "first" ballhead was one of these: Induro BHD2 Ballhead 479-002 B&H Photo Video (roughly 40lb capacity)

But when I bought a second tripod... my new ballhead is one of these: Induro BHD3 Ballhead 479-003 B&H Photo Video (roughly 55 lb capacity).

I've learned to stop screwing around... I'm using a tripod to hold the camera solidly... so I want something solid.

BTW... the BHD2 head is actually very solid. But when I bought the new tripod, it's a larger and beefier tripod so I figured I'd just get the larger head. I do have wimpier tripods and heads that I bought specifically to be lightweight ... but they're not nearly as solid and I know that. So when I use these, I use a remote release to avoid touching the camera and I'm carefully to protect the camera and tripod from vibrations.

I agree induro is the shiznat

Most reactions

Back