Beware...

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by tevo, May 4, 2013.

1. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sure, no argument there... but that's not a question of breakage.

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Canon straps are the same, very hard and rough edges; good if you've got thick clothes on but they will cut like mad on skin even with a light setup if you've only got a light shirt on

3. cowleystjames

cowleystjames No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't like manufacturers straps whether nikon or canon, they're cheap and flashy don't stay on your shoulder and cut in like hell.
    I always use Optech ones, well padded and stay put.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

4. Steve5D

Steve5D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Everything can fail...

5. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    nuh uh...
    I heard the automotive industry was "too big" to fail... :wink:

6. Benco

Benco TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Weeell...lets say that it has more redundancy than the flimsy effort that came with the camera.

7. Tailgunner

Tailgunner No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is this common?

8. cynicaster

cynicaster No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I use the Canon strap and it feels pretty rock solid to me. I can't see it failing unless something tugs *really* hard on it, in which case they'd probably rip my head off and I wouldn't need a camera anyway.

Now, if it's not "buckled up" properly and comes undone as a result, that's the user failing, not the strap.

I will say that I have a smallish Canon camera bag that is big enough to fit the body with a lens fitted, 2 other lenses, and 2 speedlights. I really like the size and portability of it, but I'm just dumbfounded at the design of its strap. Each side of the bag has a little ring, and the strap has plastic clips on each end that hook up to the rings. The clips rotate so that the strap can be untwisted easily. It looks fine at a glance but there were 3 times when I was on the move, slung the bag over my shoulder, and one of the clips came undone, almost spilling my gear out onto the ground; actually, one time, I was standing on a bridge and almost lost a lens into the lake below. I ended up wrapping duct tape around the two clips so they can't unhook. Looks ghetto as all hell but at least it's safer.

9. Buckster

Buckster In memoriam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmm... Nothing more out of the OP on this since the initial post. No photo, no further explanation. Based on 40+ years of never having a strap just break, I'm going to go ahead and assume user error, rather than manufacturer's poor design or malfunction.

Would love to see an actual, scientific, stress test on one of these "flimsy" OM straps too, to see exactly how many pounds of pressure it can endure before breaking. I bet it's a LOT more than is necessary to hold a camera's weight, no matter what size lens, flash, or other added accessories are attached to it.

10. tevo

tevo Recovering TPF Junkie Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. tevo

tevo Recovering TPF Junkie Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't really know what additional explanation is necessary. There is no good reason why the strap should have broken at the seam when the only weight it was supporting was that of my Leica and lens. I also don't know why there is some implication that I am lying about this. Just because I shoot Nikon doesn't mean I intend on launching a smear campaign on Canon for faulty camera straps. In all reality I'm a pissed off 17 year old with a now damaged Leica camera due to a camera strap breaking while I was walking around. I can borrow my friend's macro lens and take closer up pictures of the broken seams, strap and dent if you'd like. I can also contact my local crime scene investigators or local government if that would suffice.

Edit: Should have posted pictures with the OP. The thread died a while ago and I forgot about it. Still haven't had any extra money to go have it fixed.

12. Hof8231

Hof8231 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I recently purchased a couple Black Rapid straps for my bodies which I enjoy very much, as they make carrying/maneuvering/using the camera from the shoulder position much easier. Prior to that I had my 5D with grip and 70-200 being held by just the stock Canon strap and never ran into any problems. After seeing this, though, I don't think I'll be using a Canon strap again any time soon.