Big Pike or tiger musky?

Thought Gar were freshwater. Were you over fresh water or salt?
They are, like pike & muskies, Pike and tigers have caudal fins with rounded tips while Muskies have pointed tips. I can't tell on that one. The markings look wrong for tigers and pike and there is a spotted phase for muskies.

You'll have to go back and look at the underside of the jaw: if there are six or more pores on each side, it's a musky; five or less on each side and it's a pike; five to seven and it's a tiger. Remember - it's the underside of that toothy jaw . . . wear gloves.
I'll jumb off the bridge tomorrow and check.

Cool - I want to see video. Maybe I'll put your name in the Coffee House footnotes if it doesn't go well.

Anyone who has lots of experience with fish on here? or has already replied to this thread?

. . . and for those that come upon this thread and have no knowledge of fish biology, the caudal (fin) is commonly known as the tail fin. I don't want anyone leaving here being confused,

. . . and for those that come upon this thread and have no knowledge of fish biology, the caudal (fin) is commonly known as the tail fin. I don't want anyone leaving here being confused,
Thanks for clarifying what that is as i was confused as to what it meant

Thanks for clarifying what that is as i was confused as to what it meant
No problem, my brother.

Thought Gar were freshwater. Were you over fresh water or salt?
Not sure. I assume salt, it's Florida. Hence my hesitation other than size.

Here's a large pickerel I caught today. See the difference? Pike and muskie look similar, but not identical
20170422_102156.jpg

Most reactions

Back