Debating between keeping my Fujifilm X-T3 or selling to move to Canon (R6 or R7)

AndrewCanon6D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,
I made one other thread about Canon gear and lenses already, but I am having a big internal debate about the best path forward for my camera gear. I shot with Canon for a long time (T2i, 6D, 5D Mark IV). I went through lots of lenses during that time, but at the end I had 16-35f4, 100-400 II, 35f1.4, 50f1.4, 100f2.8 Macro and 135 f1.8. I mainly did landscapes and wildlife (16-35 and 100-400) but I liked the primes for the occasional portraits or attempts at more artistic shots.

I sold the 5D Mark IV and all of those lenses in 2020. For multiple reasons that seemed right at the time. I bought a used Fuji X-T3, a used 16mm f1.4, and a used 56mm f1.2 which I was able to get for a fairly reasonable price. I was looking for something smaller, lighter and fun to use and the Fuji does all of that. There are times where I do like the photos that I get from it, but overall, I just don't like the photos as much as I used to get from my 5D Mark IV with L series lenses. Of course that probably isn't the most fair comparison. I have noticed that with my Fuji it is more of a walk around and fun camera, but not as much of a serious hobby

Recently I have been wanting to get back into photography more as a serious hobby again. Specifically for nature, landscape and wildlife. I have been debating if I should sell my Fuji to move back into Canon's system (get an R6, or maybe an R7 so that I could spend a little bit more on RF lenses?) - or if I should keep the Fuji and spend more to get some lenses more suited for that- find a used 10-24 f4 and get the new 150-600.

I know there is no right answer, but would appreciate any thoughts or opinions from others about something like this. Thanks!

First off I have to ask if you like shooting wildlife why don't you have any of the Fuji long zooms? I find the 70-300 is fantastic and still fits the bill of lightweight and fun to use. That being said, I was shooting with some birders the other day and they were raving about the r7 with the long zoom - 200-600 maybe? Still, my photos look just as good with the Fuji gear as what they got with the Canon although my shots had to be a lot more cropped in post.

First off I have to ask if you like shooting wildlife why don't you have any of the Fuji long zooms? I find the 70-300 is fantastic and still fits the bill of lightweight and fun to use. That being said, I was shooting with some birders the other day and they were raving about the r7 with the long zoom - 200-600 maybe? Still, my photos look just as good with the Fuji gear as what they got with the Canon although my shots had to be a lot more cropped in post.
This is my debate- if I should buy one of the Fuji long zooms (70-300, 100-400 or the 150-600 (this lens looks fantastic)) vs selling it for Canon.

Thanks for your experience

G'day Andrew

Crop factors for the 2 bodies aside- what is the relative size / shape / weight of the 2 units?
If you are lugging the stuff around while out shooting landscapes, what do you have hanging from your shoulder?

Also comes the comparative costs- of which I have no information to offer :(

Phil

I shoot with an X-T4 and get all the quality I need for places like this. The revelation to me has been the quality of the lenses. I have the 100-400mm but recently for birding, I have been able to rely on the very sharp 70-300mm plus the 1.4x which came with the 100mm-400mm or a pre owned 2x I recently found at a good price. Being dedicated converters, there is no discernible fall off in IQ and I can happily wander around with 70mm - 600mm available from gear I can carry in my jacket pockets. I nearly traded my 100mm-400mm but having acquired the 2x, the thought of having 800mm available if I need it made me chicken out.

Is general unfamiliarity with Fuji's long experience producing excellent optics(video, ciné, LF, MILC) behind doubts about their system and its lenses? I wonder sometimes. The Fuji X-T1 in 2014 and the string of Fujinons that followed showed what a MILC system could be. I just don't see piles of those lenses on the used market. But if you're feeling nostalgic for a Canon reunion, why not?

Most reactions

Back