Big Red

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I spotted this large red-tailed hawk sitting in the grass this morning as I came over a hill about 20 meters from it. It heard me and flew away into a tree about 40 meters away which gave me a chance to slowly get close once again and capture these shots. Normally, I like my birds facing me but in some cases I prefer shots from behind because you see another part of the bird, like that big, beautiful, reddish tail.
ISO 320, f/6.3, 1/320 sec (w/VR on), 0 step, 600 mm.

11142034-studio-studio.jpg

11142040-studio-studio.jpg

11142047-studio-studio.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
You’re absolutely right about rarely seeing that tail. Very nice colors in these and it does look to be a very large one. Most bigger ones I see here hang out near busy interstates waiting on roadkill.

very nice set....
Thanks, Jeff, appreciate it.
You’re absolutely right about rarely seeing that tail. Very nice colors in these and it does look to be a very large one. Most bigger ones I see here hang out near busy interstates waiting on roadkill.
Thanks, Dean. Makes you wonder if their food supply is healthy or not.

a beautiful hawk.

These are good. I don't think they need to be face on. They are good shots of its posture and the fact that it is keeping a sharp eye on you as you sneak up on him.

These are good. I don't think they need to be face on. They are good shots of its posture and the fact that it is keeping a sharp eye on you as you sneak up on him.
Thanks, Pete. I just kind of wish the bg light wasn't quite as a little more attractive but oh well.

I really like that last one!

Most reactions

Back