Big Stopper Test Shot

I'm not sure why all of a sudden Flickr BBcode is making images so large, it used to resize them into scaled thumbnails. I'll start posting smaller codes to see if that helps, it's annoying to scroll.

Did you crop the image any in post?

Nope

Looks like a nice wall print :icon_thumbsup:
:icon_thumleft:
:icon_thumright:

I never thought of using a flash in Long Exposures to enhance certain areas. Great tip.
Did you do any PostProcessing to pull out shadows ?

Thanks! Yeah, I'm getting a ton of good info from the comments here, thanks everyone! I do need to cover the viewfinder, totally forgot that! Very little was done in terms of shadow pulling, only a tad on the right side.

I bet that's why there's some artifacts! Cover it, man!

Finally got a chance to test the Big Stopper today during a hike. Results came out...ok. A couple artifacts near the top, I'm guessing where light was hitting the filter funky. Could clone them out, but it's just a test shot. Need to fine-tune my approach a bit, and having just received my GND filter, that will help future shots along quite a bit.

Looking forward to more experimenting! This exposure was 8 minutes I believe. Hope you enjoy it regardless, I don't think I've ever seen such green moss!

Big Stopper Test Shot: Berry Falls
by TogaLive, on Flickr
Wow, what a nice shot! I'm not familiar with the big stopper....did you really mean 8 minutes or 8 seconds?

Sparky was spot on, I did mean 8 minutes :) Combined with harsh reflections off the water's mist, and that I forgot to cover the viewfinder, it seems that also explains the artifacts.

I use my camera strap to cover the viewfinder. I also have a fluffy rubber thing I cut up to fit inside which the strap can hold into place.

I find the Nikon viewfinder cover to be ... annoying at best since I use an aftermarket eyepiece which is solidly held in place.

The 800 has a nifty switch to close it.
I wonder if hte 750 has it ?? hmm .. something to look at.

I use my camera strap to cover the viewfinder. I also have a fluffy rubber thing I cut up to fit inside which the strap can hold into place.

I find the Nikon viewfinder cover to be ... annoying at best since I use an aftermarket eyepiece which is solidly held in place.

The 800 has a nifty switch to close it.
I wonder if hte 750 has it ?? hmm .. something to look at.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I love having the eye-piece shutter :)

Sparky was spot on, I did mean 8 minutes :) Combined with harsh reflections off the water's mist, and that I forgot to cover the viewfinder, it seems that also explains the artifacts.

I've never seen light leaking in with such a circular pattern that seems to follow the highlights of the image before.

I've always seen leaking light as a linear exposure across the long end of the frame.

To test how your camera will produce such an effect, just put a lens cap on and aim a bright light at the viewfinder. Keep upping your exposure until you start to see the results.

I don't use the OEM Canon strap, so I don't usually have that cover with me. I'll have to look into a different one, or maybe I'll just a piece of squishy foam or something. Heck, I might just keep a small roll of black gaffing tape with me, and take an inch from it when I need to now and then.

480sparky said:
I've never seen light leaking in with such a circular pattern that seems to follow the highlights of the image before.

I thought it was actually mist from the water. Down near the bottom of the frame there's a circular pattern visible...and it appears to be rather small, like say a six-to ten-foot diameter circle; I thought it might be airborne mist where the water was moved around by air currents. At the top of the falls, the blue streaks match the color of the water...again, I was wondering if there might be some airborne mist up at the top of the falls, lifted aloft as airborne mist often is at large waterfalls.

I thought it was actually mist from the water. Down near the bottom of the frame there's a circular pattern visible...and it appears to be rather small, like say a six-to ten-foot diameter circle; I thought it might be airborne mist where the water was moved around by air currents. At the top of the falls, the blue streaks match the color of the water...again, I was wondering if there might be some airborne mist up at the top of the falls, lifted aloft as airborne mist often is at large waterfalls.

But what's strange is it's it all concentric.

Concentric.jpg

Last edited:
When I first got my ND filters I went out an entire afternoon taking long exposures.
I kept noticing oddities in the LCD .. purpleish spots.
But I kept going
I kept reviewing in my head how I did this, of the little i did, back in the film days a long time ago.
Then I realized on one shot going through this check list in my head .. CLOSE THE VIEWFINDER.
ack ... the d7000 didn't have a switch to close it.
Thus I realized why all my pictures looked like this:
aPurpleHaze-1.jpg

The purple varied alot
depending if the sun was directly going towards the viewfinder, or much less if pointed the opposite direction, or in a "valley"
The above example the falling sun was going right into the viewfinder.

480sparky said:

The pattern in the lower half, is actually a rainbow I believe. There is a near-permanent one at the base of the falls, and I definitely think you're correct in thinking mist is a contributing factor, the entire area is dowsed in mist.

But what's strange is it's it all concentric.

Concentric.jpg

Weird indeed. As I just mentioned, there was a lot of mist, including a rainbow. The sun was coming in from behind me, so perhaps it was just ideal conditions for artifacts when combined with such a long exposure.

Maybe add a CPOL next time?

Maybe add a CPOL next time?

You telling me I need MORE filters?!

Haha, maybe. I don't think I'm going to run into this situation again, I don't know anywhere else around here with the same conditions as those falls.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back