Bingo!!!!!!!!

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It would seem I was right - there was something to the particular downloader used and my recent rash of awful shots! I went out in the yard today and shot about 45 photos of just stuff, nothing spectacular. I used the same settings I have been using on the camera [program mode with shutter priority shift]. I downloaded the shots to the PC using the photoshop downloader. Everything once again was saving as medium 5 in photoshop AND I was able to zoom in using photo shop to get a close up crop of most things and they were clear! I got some great shots of a tufted titmouse on the bird feeder.

So for future reference - anyone who has windows Vista, DO NOT use its picture downloader to download your photos from your camera to PC - it stinks! :thumbdown: [see my earlier pot "could this be what I am doing wrong"]

And all this time I was worried something was wrong with my camera - or me!:lol: Thank you all for your input, gotta go almost time for the Eagles game to start.

That is why I use mac now! ;)

Ha ha! I love the Mac one! Im not one to bash PCs but I will never go back to a PC unless I want to play PC games.

Ok if you are downloading JPG (Not Raw files) Can't you just hook the camera up and copy paste? Thats what I do. Then you can open them up in Photoshop from whatever folder you copied them to. Or get a card reader and open them from there. For the most part I don't use and transfer software. Though, I will use my Canon software if I took Raw files. Some of those don't open in Photoshop, unless you have a plugin that works.

Love my iMac!

-Christopher

CAG76 -- someone else suggested I do the copy and paste thing, they too had a mac, so apparently its just a Mac thing because I've never received that message, or a window menu with that option. I plug my camera into the pc and I get a menu with the download options listed - windows, zoom browser exec [for my canon P&S] and photo shop - thats it.

Jaszek - At the moment I have no account with photo bucket. I recently closed it out. I have a dial up connection and presently no patience for waiting long periods of time to upload photos to the internet. Perhaps sometime in the future I will get some photos uploaded. :)

CAG76 -- someone else suggested I do the copy and paste thing, they too had a mac, so apparently its just a Mac thing because I've never received that message, or a window menu with that option. I plug my camera into the pc and I get a menu with the download options listed - windows, zoom browser exec [for my canon P&S] and photo shop - thats it.
I have a PC with Windows XP and a Sony A350 and I just tried the copy thing since reading this post and it works. When I plug in the USB and turn the camera on, a new 'drive' opens in Windows Explorer labeled "Removable Drive". (It's F: on my PC because I have a DVD and a CD that are D: & E: ) Go down a couple of layers in the tree and there are the files. Drag them to wherever you want them. - TF

It would seem I was right - there was something to the particular downloader used and my recent rash of awful shots! I went out in the yard today and shot about 45 photos of just stuff, nothing spectacular. I used the same settings I have been using on the camera [program mode with shutter priority shift]. I downloaded the shots to the PC using the photoshop downloader. Everything once again was saving as medium 5 in photoshop AND I was able to zoom in using photo shop to get a close up crop of most things and they were clear! I got some great shots of a tufted titmouse on the bird feeder.

So for future reference - anyone who has windows Vista, DO NOT use its picture downloader to download your photos from your camera to PC - it stinks! :thumbdown: [see my earlier pot "could this be what I am doing wrong"]

And all this time I was worried something was wrong with my camera - or me!:lol: Thank you all for your input, gotta go almost time for the Eagles game to start.
This is why I don't use any software to move my images from my CF memory cards to the computer...I don't trust 'em. I prefer to manually move my image files through Windows Explorer with the CF card in a card reader. I've never had issues doing image file transfers this way.

do you mac users use Iphoto or something else to upload your photos?

This is why I don't use any software to move my images from my CF memory cards to the computer...I don't trust 'em. I prefer to manually move my image files through Windows Explorer with the CF card in a card reader. I've never had issues doing image file transfers this way.

It's what I do as well. My opinion is that it's easier anyways to do this. I just drag everything to a 300 Gig mybook.

I have a PC with Windows XP and a Sony A350 and I just tried the copy thing since reading this post and it works. When I plug in the USB and turn the camera on, a new 'drive' opens in Windows Explorer labeled "Removable Drive". (It's F: on my PC because I have a DVD and a CD that are D: & E: ) Go down a couple of layers in the tree and there are the files. Drag them to wherever you want them. - TF
He is using Vista compared to your XP (me on XP and I have always done the same with Windows Explorer recognizing a camera as a 'removable drive'.) Does Vista do this as well or has something changed?

It wouldn't be unlikely nor surprising to have Microsoft change this to give less control over what you want to do with your computer....

Last edited:
OldClicker -- I no longer have the pleasure of using Windows XP - sure wish I did, but my old PC gave up the ghost a few months back and the new system came with Vista. Believe me, it is not like XP in many ways ----I will check to see if your copy and darg will work in Vista, but I doubt that it will ---can't find anything in Vista its all hidden.
Thanks

He is using Vista compared to your XP (me on XP and I have always done the same with Windows Explorer recognizing a camera as a 'removable drive'.) Does Vista do this as well or has something changed?

It wouldn't be unlikely nor surprising to have Microsoft change this to give less control over what you want to do with your computer....
I've avoided using Vista because of all the bad things I've heard about it since it came out. So many people have had problems with it and so many people just can't stand how it kind of treats you like a dummy (Would you like to allow this to access your computer? Would you like that to function? Would you like me to hold your hand?). It does seem that Microsoft feels the average user isn't competent enough to use a computer and try to make it as automated as possible. I just hope Windows 7 is an improvement.

I've avoided using Vista because of all the bad things I've heard about it since it came out...
Yup. And everyone said the same when XP came out... and Windows ME... and Windows 98... and Windows 95... Windows 3.1 is my first experience with Windows. I don't know what they said when 3.1 came.

Yup. And everyone said the same when XP came out... and Windows ME... and Windows 98... and Windows 95... Windows 3.1 is my first experience with Windows. I don't know what they said when 3.1 came.
Windows 3.1 was a godsend. - TF

Most reactions

Back